Bacon Havarti grilled cheese is one of the best Havarti cheese recipes ever! Filled with two kinds of cheese, whole grain dijon mustard, and caramelized onions, it's such a delicious savory treat. And for more savory recipes, try my Puff Pastry Pizza, my Baked Boursin Pasta, or my Southern Baked Mac and Cheese!
*This post contains affiliate links — as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure for details*.
Havarti Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Grilled cheese sandwiches are a classic easy comfort food snack. When you want something simple, but totally delicious, grilled cheese is definitely the way to go. But there are some times when you just want more. Something that is satisfying, but also sophisticated and flavorful. That's when you need this Havarti grilled cheese sandwich. It's got two types of cheese, seeded rye bread, and it's also filled to the brim with crispy bacon, caramelized onions, and whole grain dijon mustard.
So let's get started making this amazing Havarti grilled cheese sandwich. And what's the most important part of a fancy grilled cheese sandwich? Fancy cheese, of course!
What are the best cheeses for grilled cheese?
For this grilled cheese sandwich we're using not one, but two of my favorite cheeses for grilled cheese! Our first cheese is one of my favorites for sandwiches: Havarti! Havarti is a Danish semisoft cow's milk cheese that has a smooth yet tangy flavor. It also melts well, so it's perfect for this fancy grilled cheese!
What cheese goes well with Havarti?
Next, we'll use Emmental, a Swiss cheese made from unpasteurized cow's milk that has a nutty, creamy flavor. Emmental is a major ingredient in fondue, so it melts very well and provides lots of flavor. Together, these two cheese impart the perfect flavor and texture to make a grilled cheese sandwich that is downright elegant.
What can I add to my grilled cheese?
Whatever you like! In our Havarti grilled cheese sandwich, we're grabbing some crispy bacon, caramelized onions, and our two cheeses for some amazing sweet and savory flavors.
But that's not all! To make this fancy grilled cheese even fancier we're using one of my favorite ingredients, whole grain dijon mustard! It adds that tangy dijon flavor with a bit of texture from the mustard seeds. I love using whole grain mustard in my cooking. If you can't find whole grain mustard, regular dijon works just as well, and complements the cheeses marvelously.
Is mayo or butter better for grilled cheese?
The age-old debate! I personally prefer the flavor of butter, but I recognize that mayo is a better choice for browning and crispness. So for this Havarti grilled cheese, we're going with mayo to get the perfect toasty browned outer crust!
You can also use softened butter, or clarified butter to coat the outside of your bread slices. Either way, you're on your way to an amazing grilled cheese sandwich!
- rye bread - The best sandwiches start with a good bread. I love the flavor of seeded rye, especially with the Havarti and dijon mustard flavors. But you can also use a seedless rye, or sliced sourdough to fit the flavor-packed goodness of this fancy grilled cheese sandwich!
- whole-grain dijon mustard - I love the combination of dijon mustard and cheese flavor, especially with the caramelized onion. It makes me feel like I'm in a French café somewhere enjoying a quick ham sandwich on a baguette. I like this one, but you can use any whole grain or dijon mustard you like!
- crispy cooked bacon - For this recipe, you can use leftover bacon, or your favorite recipe for cooking bacon in the oven or the stovetop.
- Havarti and Emmental cheese - you can't have a Havarti grilled cheese sandwich without Havarti! Along with the nutty Emmental, it brings lots of flavor and creamy texture, which is perfect for grilled cheese!
- mayonnaise - As I mentioned above, mayo gives you the best toasty brown exterior for a grilled cheese sandwich. I'm from the midwest, where Hellmann's is king, but you can use your favorite mayo for this recipe.
- caramelized onions - These are truly the stars of this Havarti grilled cheese sandwich! You can buy prepackaged caramelized onions, but it's actually super easy to make them yourself! I like this method from The Kitchn.
All you'll need for this recipe is a skillet, griddle, or nonstick pan to fry up your fancy grilled cheese. If you use a cast iron skillet to caramelize your onions, then you're already one step ahead!
Tips and F.A.Q.
Definitely! Havarti is a semi-hard cheese that is super versatile and creamy! It also adds a mild nutty flavor to this havarti grilled cheese sandwich that you'll love!
Other than the Havarti and Emmental we're using in this Havarti grilled cheese, some other great cheese options are mild cheddar, provolone, Monterey Jack, and Muenster. These are all flavorful cheeses that melt well and aren't overly greasy, and they'll all perform well in a grilled cheese sandwich!
In addition to this Havarti grilled cheese, you can use your Havarti on burgers, in casseroles and pasta bakes, or in an omelet!
If you can't find Havarti, you can look for other mild semi-hard cheeses like Gouda, Colby, Edam, or mild cheddar.
More Savory Recipes to Try
- Sweet Potato Patties with Chickpeas and Creamy Avocado Sauce
- Paleo Chicken Thigh Recipe with Roasted Vegetables
- Shrimp Macaroni Salad With Cajun Spices
- Rotisserie Chicken Salad
- Boursin Pasta – Tiktok Viral Recipe
Equipment you may need
- 2 slices seeded rye bread
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain dijon mustard
- ¼ cup caramelized onions - (see note)
- ¼ cup crisp bacon - crumbled
- 2 slices Havarti cheese
- 1 slice Emmental cheese - or Swiss cheese, or Gruyère
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise - or butter
- Spread mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread.1 tablespoon mayonnaise, 2 slices seeded rye bread
- Place one of the slices, mayo side down, on a clean plate or work surface. Spread mustard onto slice and top with one slice of Havarti and one slice of Emmental.1 tablespoon whole-grain dijon mustard, 1 slice Emmental cheese, 2 slices Havarti cheese
- Top with caramelized onions evenly spread over cheese, then bacon, then one more slice of Havarti.¼ cup caramelized onions, ¼ cup crisp bacon
- Place second slice of bread on top with mayo facing up.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place sandwich in skillet to cook for 3-4 minutes each side, or until deep golden brown and cheese is melted.
PIN this Havarti grilled cheese recipe for later!
This was the best grilled cheese I've ever made! From the harvati to the bacon and caramelized onions, woooo this was truly a hit!
Thank you so much!!
This was right on time for grilled cheese day! I made it for lunch at home and it was the high point of my workday.
So glad you liked it!
Hubby and I had so much fun eating this grilled cheese. It was easy to make and bursting with flavor. It was our first time trying Emmental cheese and we loved it.
I'm so glad you guys liked it!
Melty, indulgent, delicious!!! This is BY FAR the best grilled cheese sandwich i have had i a long time and I'll be making it again and again!
You and me both! Thanks so much!
I LOVED the sweet and savory flavors in this. Adding caramelized onions to grilled cheese is straight up GENIUS. I loved rye as the base - I'd never tried my grilled cheese with rye bread before!
Thanks! I love the combination too!
You had me at havarti! This was so simple to make and the melted cheese paired with those delicious carmelized onions --- whew, chile! Amazing!
So glad you liked it!!
Yes to this amazingly elevated grilled cheese! I love caramelized onions so trying this recipe was a MUST for me! It did not disappoint!
Caramelized onions are the best!
I'm a little obsessed with havarti cheese so I knew I was in for a good experience going in. On the whole, this is a great sandwich.
So glad you liked it!
Adding caramelized onions to grilled cheese is such an ingenious ideas. The natural sweetness of the onions paired so well with the salty cheese. My new way of making grilled cheese for sure!
So glad you enjoyed! I love that combination too!
Loved this adult grilled cheese. We use the leftover sourdough from Easter to make these delicious sammies. Can't wait to try them out with rye bread as you've suggested.
Sourdough sounds like it would be amazing! So glad you liked them!
This sandwich was so delicious! I love the fact that you included Havarti cheese and Swiss cheese. Thanks for sharing
Thank you! Glad you liked it!
First of all, I’m OBSESSED with Havarti!!! This cheese makes the absolute best grilled cheese, and I only know that now because of you! Everything about this was too amazing. Can’t wait to make it again!
Me too!! I always have some Havarti in my fridge for sandwiches, especially grilled cheese! I'm so glad you liked it!
I love havarti and we all love grilled cheese sandwiches. We loved making these together in our little kitchen! The complexity of flavors truly elevated a simple sandwich. Thanks for sharing!
So glad you guys enjoyed! It's definitely a great sandwich if you love grilled cheese!