This easy ricotta blueberry toast layers a rich blueberry compote with a quick whipped ricotta recipe. It’s the perfect breakfast or snack for spring and summer – plus, you can make this blueberry and whipped ricotta toast with fresh or frozen berries! And if you like this blueberries toast, you’ll love my Earl Grey Scones with Vanilla Bean Glaze, my White Chocolate and Raspberry Muffins, and my Stone Fruit Salad with Goat Cheese and Honey-Lemon Vinaigrette!
*This post contains affiliate links — as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure for details*.
Ricotta Blueberry Toast Recipe
This ricotta and blueberries toast can be served at breakfast, as a delicious snack or even as an appetizer on smaller toast slices -- think of it as a blueberry bruschetta! The blueberry compote is so easy to make, the whipped ricotta recipe comes out so creamy and tangy, and the fresh basil, lemon zest, and honey tops it all off so perfectly!
And if you love blueberry treats, you've got to try my Lemon Blueberry Cookies and my Blueberry Cream Cheese Bars! They're both incredible!
What bread is used for ricotta blueberry toast?
I used a sourdough loaf for this ricotta and blueberries toast, which I cut into thick slices and toasted in a skillet. You can use any bread you like, but I recommend a sturdy type like sourdough or seeded whole grain so that it can stand up to the weight of the toppings. You can also use a baguette to make smaller portions and turn this into a blueberry bruschetta appetizer!
What to put on toast with blueberries?
The whipped ricotta recipe that we're adding to this blueberry toast is the perfect complement to the sweetness of the blueberries! And don't worry, you won't need any special techniques to whip the ricotta -- just a hand mixer or stand mixer, or you can even use a whisk!
How to make berry toast?
Here are the ingredients you'll need for this blueberry ricotta toast:
- blueberries - you can use either frozen or fresh blueberries for this toast (no need to thaw).
- honey - we'll add a little sweetness to our blueberry compote with some honey. I also like to drizzle a little more honey on top of the finished toasts!
- lemon - adds a bright flavor to the blueberry compote, and the zest is a perfect topping on the toasts!
- salt - just a pinch to bring out the flavor in our blueberry compote.
- ricotta - I prefer whole milk ricotta cheese in this whipped ricotta recipe. The extra fat in the cheese helps create a creamier consistency. You can use part-skim ricotta as well, if you prefer.
- sourdough loaf - Any unsliced sourdough or "rustic" loaf you find will work. You can then cut it into thick slices for this blueberries toast! You can also use a baguette for smaller portions!
- extra-virgin olive oil - We'll toast our bread in a skillet with some olive oil. I love the flavor of olive oil with the lemon and berries. You can use any other oil you like, or even butter would be delicious!
- basil - as a finishing touch, we'll add some chopped fresh basil onto our blueberry toast. I find the flavor of blueberry and basil are so perfect together!
You'll need a small saucepan to make your blueberry compote, and then a skillet to toast your bread. You can use a hand mixer, stand mixer, or just a whisk to whip up your ricotta. I also used a microplane grater to zest my lemon and a super cute honey dipper to drizzle honey on top!
Can you toast in an air fryer?
Absolutely! While I prefer the flavor of toasting the bread in a pan with olive oil, your air fryer can make it so easy! Just place the toast in a single layer in the air fryer and cook for 3-4 minutes, flipping halfway through. Keep in mind that air fryer times can vary, so begin checking the toast after 2 minutes.
What to put on toast to make it taste better?
The best part about this whipped ricotta and blueberries toast is the toppings! Once you've layered on your whipped ricotta and blueberry compote, adding some lemon zest, chopped basil, and a drizzle of honey adds the perfect finishing touch! You can even add some crunch with chopped roasted almonds, or swap out the honey for some hot honey for a bit of spice!
Blueberry Toast Tips and F.A.Q.
I wouldn't suggest toasting your bread in advance, but you can definitely make the blueberry compote and whipped ricotta up to a day in advance, then toast the bread and assemble your blueberry toast just before serving!
If you don't have ricotta, you can make this recipe with cream cheese, mascarpone, or even almond butter layered under the blueberry compote! You can also substitute blackberries, raspberries, or strawberries or a berry mixture that you prefer.
This delicious ricotta blueberry toast recipe is definitely a treat, with 419 calories per serving, 19 grams of sugar and 17 grams of fat. I'm not a nutrition professional so I can't say whether it is a healthy option for your dietary needs, but you can check out the full nutritional information below in the recipe card!
If you try this recipe, I would love it if you could leave a star review rating and comment below! It’s so wonderful hearing your feedback! And don’t forget to share your creations with me by tagging @chenee_today on Instagram!
More Blueberry Recipes You'll Love
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins with Lemon Zest
- Skillet Blueberry Cobbler with Smoked Sugar
- Blueberry Basil Galette, from my summer cookbook Sweet Summertime, available on Amazon!
Equipment you may need
- 2 cups blueberries - fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoon honey - plus more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices sourdough bread - sliced thick
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese - room temperature
- fresh basil - for garnish
- Heat blueberries, honey, lemon juice, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring to combine.2 cups blueberries, 2 tablespoon honey, 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, pinch of salt
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer, stirring often, until blueberries are softened and mixture is thickened.
- Heat a skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat. When hot, drizzle in olive oil and add sliced sourdough.2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 4 slices sourdough bread
- Toast bread until golden brown, about 3 minutes, then flip and cook the other side 1-2 minutes. Work in batches if needed. When toast is done, remove from heat and set aside.
- Whip ricotta in a food processor or with a hand mixer until smooth.1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- To assemble toasts, spread about 2 tablespoon whipped ricotta onto each slice of toast and top with 1-2 tablespoon of blueberry compote. Sprinkle on chopped basil and lemon zest and drizzle on honey as desired. Serve immediately.fresh basil
Last Updated on March 10, 2023 by Chenée Lewis
I love the juxtaposition between sweet-tangy blueberry and the velvety lush ricotta. This is a tasty combination.
Thanks! It works so well! 🙂
This looks absolutely delicious! What a great way to spruce up toast in the mornings! Thanks for the share!
I agree! Hope you like it!
This blueberry toast with ricotta is my new favorite breakfast recipe! I love the textures and flavor combinations..so so delish!!
Thank you so much! Glad you liked it!
This blueberry ricotta toast was so delicious and made the perfect breakfast! Thanks for the awesome idea, I'll be making this all the time!
Thank you for the feedback! It's definitely a new favorite of mine too!
What a delicious treat this was! I had never tried whipped ricotta and it was a revelation!
So glad you liked it!!
Nostimo! I love the juxtaposition between the earthy creamy ricotta and the tart sweet blueberries. Thick sourdough toast is the perfect delivery system. The pinch of sea salt made it sing for me.
Couldn't have said it better myself! Thank you!
I made your blueberry toasts for breakfast and they were ah-mazingly delicious! This will definitely become one of my regular breakfast treats!
Thank you so much! They're definitely one of mine!
Yum! This is delicious. I love the combination of ricotta and blueberry. Thank you.
You're very welcome! So glad you liked it.
The toast looks so amazing, blueberry with whipped ricotta sounds so good. Perfect for evening snacks or even breakfast.
Definitely! I like it for breakfast!
This was delicious! I just loved the creamy ricotta with the blueberries, and the honey added such a nice tough. Perfect spring breakfast!
Thank you! I think so too! Glad you liked it!
This is such a great recipe for breakfast. So easy to make and took minimal time. Perfect for someone on the go.
I agree! Glad you liked it!