Better than Starbucks lemon blueberry cookies! Cream cheese cookies with cake mix are so easy and perfect for springtime! These are the best blueberry lemon cookies you'll make! And for more easy recipes, check out my Dairy Free Brownies, my Chocolate Beignets, and my M&M Rice Krispie Treats!
*This post contains affiliate links — as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure for details*.
Best Blueberry Lemon Cookies Recipe
If you love easy cake mix cookie recipes, you'll love these! They're based on my super-popular Strawberry Cheesecake Cookies, with the same simple method and soft, chewy texture. And since they start with a grocery store boxed cake mix, they come together so quickly! Definitely the perfect summer cookie! And if you love the intense blueberry flavor and fresh lemon flavor of these cookies, you've got to try my Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins with Lemon Zest!
Lemon Blueberry Cookies Made With Cake Mix
You'll love the easy ingredient list for these lemon blueberry cookies: cream cheese, cake mix and just a few other staples and you've got a delicious lemony blueberry treat!
- lemon cake mix - I used this Duncan Hines cake mix for these easy lemon blueberry cookies!
- baking powder - we'll use a bit of baking powder to add a lift to these cookies.
- cream cheese - adding cream cheese makes this cookie dough soft and tangy, and perfectly complements the flavor of lemon and blueberry!
- egg - adding an egg helps to add richness, moisture, and lift to our cookie dough. Make sure your egg is at room temperature before adding it in.
- vanilla extract - be sure to use a high-quality pure vanilla extract. Or better yet, check out my post on how to make vanilla extract at home with just 2 ingredients!
- vegetable oil - you can use any neutral cooking oil you like -- I usually use canola oil.
- white chocolate chips - these are optional, but they add a delicious vanilla sweetness to this strawberry cheesecake cookies recipe! I love the Ghirardelli White Baking Chips. You can mix them into the dough, and then add more to the tops of the cookies right when they come out of the oven!
- fresh blueberries - ripe, sweet blueberries are the perfect complement to the lemon base of these cookies!
Check out the recipe card below for the full list of ingredients with precise measurements.
I'd recommend using a hand mixer or a stand mixer to mix your dough for this chewy lemon blueberry cookies recipe. Other than that, you'll just need a mixing bowl, a large baking sheet, and some parchment paper to line it.
This is such a quick recipe! You can see the full instructions for this lemon blueberry sugar cookie recipe in the recipe card below, but here are the basic steps:
Beat softened cream cheese with an hand mixer or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment until smooth.
Add egg, vanilla, and oil and mix again until smooth.
Add dry ingredients, cake mix and baking powder. Mix again on low speed until just combined.
Fold in white chocolate chips, if using.
Gently fold in blueberries, being careful not to burst the berries.
Scoop cookie dough balls onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake!
Hint: no need to chill this dough! The cream cheese and cake mix create a thick, cake-like texture that you'll love.
Easy Lemon Blueberry Cookies Variations
If you want to make these cookies your own, you can use some easy swaps:
- Substitute Cake Mix - swap out the lemon cake mix for a white or yellow cake mix, and add the zest and juice of one lemon. The bright lemon zest and fresh lemon juice add a delicious flavor. You can also add up to a teaspoon of lemon extract for even more lemony goodness!
- Skip White Chocolate Chips - you can easily omit the white chocolate and these will still be the best blueberry lemon cookies!
- Lemon Blueberry Cookies with Lemon Glaze - make a quick lemon glaze with 2 cups of powdered sugar and ¼ cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice. Drizzle your tangy lemon glaze over your cooled cookies.
Lemon Blueberry Cookies - Healthy Substitutes
If you want to make these lemon blueberry cookies healthy, here are some great ideas:
- Olive Oil - use olive oil or another omega-3 rich oil instead of plain vegetable oil or canola oil.
- Organic Cake Mix - use an organic yellow cake mix like this one from Miss Jones Baking, and add lemon flavor with the juice and zest of a lemon!
You can also try out my almond lemon cookies for an easy vegan, gluten-free lemon cookies recipe!
These lemon blueberry cookies should be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container or food storage bag to keep them nice and soft. They should stay fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days, or you can store cookies in the freezer for up to two months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Thanks to the cake mix and cream cheese, this recipe produces fluffy, soft lemon blueberry cookies with a cake-like texture.
Sure! Just follow my key lime cookies recipe, substituting lemon zest and juice for lime. Then fold in blueberries before baking!
One of these easy lemon blueberry cookies contains 170 calories. Check the recipe card below for full nutrition information!
My Chocolate Chip Cookies Without Brown Sugar are a great option if you don't have brown sugar on hand! Or if you're looking for a cookie that fits your dietary needs, my collection of the Best Gluten Free Dairy Free Cookies Recipes is a great place to look! I also love my Almond Flour Peanut Butter Cookies that come together in just three ingredients! Or for a rich, butter cookie that's so easy to make, you've got to try my Brown Sugar Shortbread Cookies!
I'd recommend using fresh blueberries in this recipe, as frozen blueberries may have more moisture and bleed more into the dough as they bake.
Equipment you may need
- 1 box lemon cake mix - 15.25 oz
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 oz cream cheese - softened to room temperature
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup white chocolate chips - optional
- 1 cup fresh blueberries - washed and patted dry
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with a silicone liner or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, mix cream cheese, egg, vanilla, and vegetable oil until combined.6 oz cream cheese, 1 large egg, ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract, ½ cup vegetable oil
- Add in cake mix and baking powder and mix until combined.1 box lemon cake mix, 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Fold in white chocolate chips, if using.½ cup white chocolate chips
- Gently fold in blueberries.1 cup fresh blueberries
- Use a medium cookie scoop to place scoops of dough onto the prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-14 minutes, or until cookies are set and golden brown on the edges.
- Allow cookies to cool on the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
These cookies were soft, sweet, and packed with lemony goodness!! Perfect for spring!
Thank you so much! I'm glad you like them!
Love the recipe!!! and we love cookies, will be making this cookies really soon. Thanks for sharing 🙂
Lemon-blueberry anything is my favorite! I can’t wait to try these cookies!!
What a perfect flavour combination for cookies. They look lush.
These were so soft and moist! Love the flavor combinations.
Thank you!! They're the best!
Lemon blueberry is such a classic combination. These cookies look amazing, perfect for spring.
Thank you! Theyre so good.
If spring were a cookie, they would be these. So cakey, soft, and delicious. Perfect for a spring picnic 🙂
Definitely! Thank you!
Lemon and blueberry go so well together. These cookies were fabulous and tasty! Plus, they were super easy using a cake mix.
Absolutely! Thanks for giving them a try!
SOOO good! I love the lemon and blueberry flavors. The tanginess balances out the sweetness. Will make this again!
Thank you so much! I'm so glad you liked them!
What fantastic flavors in these cookies. I can't wait to taste them as I am a big fan of lemon blueberry desserts and white chocolate.