We're fully into winter weather here in Chicago, and with it comes dry air and even dryer skin! I know I'm not the only one who needs some extra moisture once the temperature goes down. And if you're like me, you've spent way too much on skin care for winter dry skin! Luckily, this DIY whipped shea body butter has everything your winter skin needs.
So easy to whip up...
The best part about this DIY whipped shea body butter is how easy it is to put together, how easy it is to customize for your preference, and how much use you'll get out of it!
This whipped body butter comes together with just a few ingredients, all of which you may have on hand or can be sourced super-easily online:
- Organic, unrefined shea butter
- Organic, extra-virgin coconut oil
- Vitamin E oil
- Sweet almond oil
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Beeswax pastilles
- Essential oil or skin care-grade fragrance oil of your choice
I got most of the ingredients for my body butter at Target or on Amazon, but most of them should also be available at most health food stores or pharmacies.
Customize your fragrance
As your body butter whips, you can add several drops of an essential oil or fragrance oil to your preference. Most recently, I added in both Banana and Mango oils from P&J Trading, but I've also used lavender and grapefruit essential oils and loved both of them.
Thoughtful and unique gift idea
This whipped body butter also makes a perfect gift! Just store it in a glass jar and add a label to share your creation with friends and family.
Uses for DIY Whipped Shea Body Butter
This body butter is so versatile -- I definitely use it straight out of the shower to seal in moisture and ensure glowy skin, but there are so many other uses! Try this lovely whipped butter as:
- Lip balm
- Hair styling cream
- Cuticle cream
- Scar and stretch mark cream
- Makeup remover
Let me know how you like this easy DIY Whipped Shea Body Butter, and what other uses you find for it!
Equipment you may need:
- Combine first six ingredients (excluding essential oil/fragrance oil) in a medium to large microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on high for one minute.
- Check for melting and stir.
- If needed, microwave again in 30-second intervals, stirring after each time, until completely melted.
- Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour or until solid.
- Add essential oil or fragrance oil to mixture.
- Using hand mixer or stand mixer on low, whip until creamy. Increase mixer speed to high and whip for at least 2 minutes until light and fluffy, adding additional fragrance oil or essential oil to your preference.
Winter is a perfect season for self-care! Check out my other skin care DIYs as I continue to post all season long!
Last Updated on May 4, 2020 by Chenée Lewis