This easy apple mug cake recipe is a super simple way to enjoy a treat! Make this single serve apple pie mug cake whenever you crave apple cinnamon goodness! And if you like small batch treats, try my mini vanilla cake, my mini chocolate cake, or my small batch chocolate chip cookies!
*This post contains affiliate links — as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure for details*.
Easy Apple Mug Cake Recipe
This cinnamon apple mug cake recipe came about when I was craving an autumn treat, but didn't want leftovers. I had just made my Instant Pot Apple Butter and my Apple Cider Donut Cake, so I had a few extra apples in the fridge, and what better way to use fresh apple than in this single serve apple cake! No egg needed, just a few simple ingredients, and all the delicious apple cinnamon flavor I wanted!
How does cake in a mug work?
I know it seems too good to be true, but mug cakes are SO good and so easy! But what is the science behind mug cake? Well, microwave ovens work by exciting water molecules within the cake batter, which heat the batter and eventually evaporate. You're left with a perfectly moist apple mug dessert, bursting with fresh apples, vanilla, and spices. For more on how this apple mug cake recipe works, check out this Popular Science article.
Apple Pie Mug Cake Ingredients
- melted butter - you'll pop your butter into the mug to melt it in the microwave before adding the rest of the ingredients. I use salted butter for this recipe, but if you use unsalted, just add a couple pinches of salt.
- grated apple - I used a Gala apple for this apple pie mug cake. You'll use a box grater to grate the apple, making it the perfect size to add apple flavor and moisture to this cake!
- light brown sugar - I love the flavor of brown sugar in this cake! It works so well with the vanilla and spices.
- pure vanilla extract - be sure to use a high-quality pure vanilla extract. Or better yet, check out my post on how to make vanilla extract at home with just 2 ingredients!
- lemon juice - brings out the tartness of the apples.
- milk - use whatever milk you like in this recipe -- I use whole milk, but lowfat milk or a plant milk would work well.
- all-purpose flour - be sure to use a kitchen scale to measure by weight, or use the spoon-and-level method to measure by volume.
- baking powder - gives this mug cake its lift!
- apple pie spice - if you don't have apple pie spice, then pumpkin pie spice would also work.
First, you'll need a mug with at least a 16-ounce capacity. Then just use a fine-mesh sieve to sift in your dry ingredients, a fork or mini whisk to whip it all up and you're ready to pop it in the microwave!
Tips and F.A.Q.
It's definitely safe to eat mug cakes, assuming you cook them long enough so that they're baked through. If the top of your apple pie mug cake is dried out, then it's done cooking and ready to eat!
Yes they do! This easy apple mug cake is made with baking powder, which gives the cake a nice lift as it cooks in the microwave.
First of all, in this cinnamon apple mug cake we're skipping the egg -- it makes this mug cake easier to make and gives it the best texture. Instead of egg, we're using baking powder for height and grated apples for moisture. Also, enjoying your mug cake right away (rather than saving for later) for the freshest flavor. Finally, top your mug cake with whipped cream or caramel sauce to make it even more decadent!
You may have added a little too much grated apple or milk. In this recipe, too much moisture weighs down the texture a bit. Stick with the amount of apple and milk listed in the recipe card below for the best apple mug dessert!
Definitely enjoy your mug cake warm! Once it's out of the microwave, let it cool for a minute or two so that it's not too hot. Or if you're like me, you'll be too eager and burn your tongue on the hot cake!
Yes you can -- after storing the mug cake, covered, in the fridge, just heat it for 15-20 seconds to reheat!
Check your mug to see that it's marked "microwave safe" -- usually on the bottom. In general, ceramic mugs are a safe bet for this microwaved apple pie mug cake. It should also have at least a 16-ounce capacity to accommodate the rise of the cake.
If you like this microwave apple mug cake, you've got to try my Protein Mug Cake -- it's made with protein powder and it's a great post-workout snack! Or maybe something more decadent, like a carrot cake in a mug? Maybe you'd like a 6-inch cake recipe, like my Pumpkin Pecan Dump Cake, my Mini Carrot Cake, my Butter Pecan Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, or my Vanilla Cake with Strawberries!
If you try this recipe, I would love it if you could leave a star review rating and comment below! It’s so wonderful hearing your feedback! And don’t forget to share your creations with me by tagging @chenee_today on Instagram!
Equipment you may need
- mini whisk
- 16 oz mug
- 2 tablespoon butter - melted & cooled
- ¼ cup (31 g) grated apple - Gala, Golden Delicious, Honeycrisp, or Granny Smith
- ½ teaspoon (2 ml) fresh lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon (4 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon (24 g) light brown sugar - packed
- ¼ cup (61 g) milk - room temperature
- ½ cup (63 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon (2 g) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (1 g) apple pie spice - or pumpkin pie spice
- whipped cream - optional, for topping
- Place butter in microwave and heat in microwave for 30 seconds until mostly melted. Stir in apples.2 tablespoon butter, ¼ cup grated apple
- Add lemon juice, and vanilla extract and stir to combine.½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice, ¾ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Stir in brown sugar, followed by milk.2 tablespoon light brown sugar, ¼ cup milk
- Sift in flour, baking powder, and apple pie spice and stir to combine.½ cup all-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon apple pie spice
- Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute 30 seconds, or until cake is set (see note).
PIN this apple mug dessert for later!
Last Updated on March 16, 2023 by Chenée Lewis
Hi. I made this and it was soo good. My son also made one, and we thinly chopped the apples because we don’t have a grater unpacked. We just moved, so things are still packed up. We wanted a sweet treat, and this was perfect. Thanks a lot Chenée. I didn’t have applepie spice, so I did a bit of cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg and it was delicious. Will make again. Do you have a pumpkin one??
I'm so glad you both liked it! I don't have a pumpkin one yet but that's a great idea!
I was craving a good dessert and found this recipe. It was just what I needed because I didn't really feel like doing a lot of cooking/baking. We used the apples we picked at the orchard and it was SO good. This is going to be my new go to dessert when I don't feel like baking or dirtying a lot of dishes!
Thanks so much! I love this mug cake for a quick, easy treat!
This was the perfect treat for me when I wanted something sweet last night without heating up the oven. Thank you!
Glad you liked it!
I usually hesitate when it comes to mug cakes but this beauty just lit up my heart! It was very moist, delicious and I enjoyed the fruity notes! Perfection!
So glad you enjoyed it! 🙂
This was my first time making a cake in the microwave! I can't believe how amazing it turned out! This was perfect to fulfill my sweet tooth craving. Thanks for the recipe
Thanks!! It's so easy! 🙂
This was my first time making a mug cake and your instructions were super easy to follow! The results were delicious! Thanks for sharing!
So glad you liked it! It's so wonderful for a sugar craving!
love the ease of this recipe especially at this time of year, when there are apples always in the house. This is perfect for 1 when there is a sweet tooth attack but no sweets in the house 🙂
Exactly! I love having single serve options like this!
I was craving something sweet and didn't feel like making a whole dessert so I tried this! It was easy and very tasty. I made another one right after lol.
I'm so glad you liked it!
This recipe was the perfect way to enjoy one of my favorite desserts without any guilt! This is the perfect mini fall indulgence. Thanks for a great recipe!
So true! I love that it's a single serving!
This recipe is so yummy and it love that it can be made without egg.
Thank you so much!
I loved everything about it. Single servings, tons of flavor, the perfect amount of sweet. Thank you,
Thank you for trying it! I'm glad you enjoyed! 🙂
This was amazing! The apple flavor was perfect and just what I need to get in the mood for Fall.
Yes I love the fall flavors in this mug cake!
I am obsessed with everything about this cake! Genius.
Thanks so much!