One of the first desserts I learned to make was key lime pie, using a store-bought graham cracker crust. It's an easy beginner recipe and the sweet and tart flavor combinations were so delicious! And another classic dessert that I love is lemon pound cake. I find that the citrus really complements the richness of the cake. So today I wanted to make a little homage to those fantastic flavor combinations with a key lime pound cake!
If you love key lime pie like I do, you know that the standard ingredients that make up a key lime pie usually are key lime juice,sweetened condensed milk, and egg yolks. This key lime pound cake recipe contains all of those elements, plus some key lime zest for some extra citrus flavor. The key lime juice adds just the right amount of tartness, and the sweetened condensed milk keeps it moist and lends it a distinct key lime pie flavor. Also, this key lime pound cake bakes up easily in a loaf pan, and can be whipped up using either a hand mixer or a stand mixer. So if you're looking for an easy weeknight dessert, look no further!
Plus! This cake is topped with a rich, tangy key lime glaze! The glaze has even more zest, juice, and sweetened condensed milk. It's the perfect way to amp up that key lime pie flavor!
This key lime cake recipe is so easy to put together, partly because the ingredients are pretty easy to find! Here's what you'll need for the key lime pound cake:
- key lime juice and zest - if you have trouble finding fresh key limes, you can use bottled key lime juice and the zest of regular limes! Also, regular lime juice, while it doesn't have the traditional key lime taste, is still a fantastic flavor in this key lime cake! I've made this cake both ways and love it every time!
- sweetened condensed milk - I use Eagle Brand condensed milk.
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- salted butter
- granulated sugar
And for the key lime glaze, you'll need:
- powdered sugar
- sweetened condensed milk
- more key lime zest and juice
This key lime pound cake is pretty simple, and made in a loaf pan, so the equipment you'll need is fairly standard: a loaf pan (of course), mixing bowls and measuring tools, a hand mixer or stand mixer, and parchment paper to easily remove the cake from the pan.
For more irresistible key lime flavor, you should drop everything and make my No-Churn Key Lime Pie Ice Cream ASAP! It's so easy to make and has all the rich goodness of key lime pie in ice cream form! And you can make it at home with NO ice cream maker!
And if you liked this key lime pound cake recipe, you should definitely try my Lavender Earl Grey Cake with Honey-Lemon Glaze. It's a simple single-layer cake recipe but packed with lemon, honey, and Earl Grey tea flavors!
Key Lime Pound CakePrint Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
Equipment you may need
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9x5-inch loaf pan. Optional: line the pan with parchment paper extending over the sides of the pan to allow for easy removal.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium speed for 5 minutes until light in color and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing fully before adding the next.
- Add lime zest and mix to incorporate.
- In a small bowl, mix condensed milk and lime juice together. Add to mixer bowl and beat until smooth.
- Gently fold in dry ingredients using a rubber spatula until just barely combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan until it is just ¾-inch from the top. Drop the pan once from 2 inches above the countertop to eliminate air pockets.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For icing, whisk together all the glaze ingredients until smooth. Add more lime juice if needed for thinner consistency. Pour over cooled cake.
PIN this key lime cake recipe for later!
Last Updated on October 21, 2020 by Chenée Lewis