Growing up, my favorite lunch was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich -- and it's still one of my favorite comfort food snacks! These thumbprint cookies bring you and your family all the flavors of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, in a soft, delicious cookie! They have a peanut butter cookie base, they're filled with sweet strawberry jam (or the jelly, jam, or preserves of your choice), and finished off with the sweet crunch of turbinado sugar. They're a perfect sweet, soft, and crunchy combination! And the best part is -- they're so easy to make!
These peanut butter and jelly thumbprint cookies are a breeze to make. They only require a handful of ingredients:
- brown sugar - I used light brown sugar, but you can opt for dark brown sugar for a little boost of flavor!
- salted butter - salted butter adds a little boost of flavor. Your butter should be room temperature so that it indents easily when pressed with your finger, but still pretty cool to the touch and not too soft.
- creamy peanut butter - I just used a basic traditional creamy peanut butter -- I haven't tried this recipe with a natural peanut butter or with a crunchy variety, but if you do let me know your results in the comments!
- one egg - should be room temperature
- pure vanilla extract - adds that perfect vanilla flavor.
- all-purpose flour - measured using the spoon-and-level method, or (my preference) by weight: 224 grams
- baking soda - gives a little lift to our cookies!
- ⅓ cup turbinado sugar - to coat the outside of our cookies. I like the crunch of turbinado sugar You can also use granulated sugar and your cookies will be just as delicious and have a slightly softer texture.
- jelly, jam, or preserves -- I used seedless strawberry jam.
As with any cookies, I recommend my favorite Nordicware sheet pan and Silpat baking mat to line it. And to make the "thumbprint" indentation, you'll also need the back of a wooden spoon or spatula, or as I mention below, a cork!
These peanut butter and jelly thumbprint cookies are so good! So I don't blame you for looking for other recipes that are just as good! You should definitely check out my Salted Caramel Cinnamon Thumbprint Cookies for a similar style of cookie that is so soft and decadent!
You should also check out my raspberry white chocolate blondies -- they've got a fresh fruit flavor you'll love and they're packed with white chocolate. So good!!
Equipment you may need
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar - packed
- 6 tablespoon salted butter - room temperature
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 large egg - room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour - spooned and leveled (224g)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup turbinado sugar - for rolling (granulated sugar also works)
- ⅓ cup jam - or jelly or preserves of your choice -- I used seedless strawberry jam
- Cream butter and brown sugar until smooth. Add peanut butter and mix for another one minute.
- Mix in egg and vanilla until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour and baking soda.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Scoop out dough by tablespoons and roll in your hands to form into balls. Roll in turbinado sugar and place at least 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Use the back of a wooden spoon, a cork, or your thumb to make an indentation in the center of each cookie.
- Place baking sheet in freezer to chill for 15 minutes while you preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Heat jam or preserves in a microwave-safe bowl for 30-45 seconds or until they are slightly warm and texture is loosened; stir.
- Remove cookie sheet from freezer and drop jam by ½ teaspoons into well in each cookie. Indentations should be filled to the very top to accommodate any cookie spreading.
- Bake cookies in preheated oven for 13 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool completely.
PIN these peanut butter and jelly thumbprint cookies for later!
Last Updated on May 26, 2022 by Chenée Lewis
I made these with my 2 year old daughter and we had so much fun! Not only were they easy to make, they were delicious! My son just started kindergarten so she’s missing her brother during the day! Making these with her was the perfect way to cheer her up!
I'm so glad your time together making these helped her to feel better! Thanks for trying them out 🙂
I loved these PB&J Cookies! They were a treat that reminded me of childhood!
Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed them!
PB&J in cookie form - OMG - this is so good - I never thought of combining them before but definitely a great cookie to make as a holiday cookie exchange this year
Oh yeah -- these would be great for the holidays! Glad you enjoyed!
We adored this recipe! Peanut butter and jelly always reminds me of child hood so to have this in a cookie was just mind blowing! Excellent recipe
Thanks! It definitely takes me back as well!
I love thumbprint cookies! This combination of peanut butter and jelly is bringing back so many great memories! Thanks for the recipe
Thank you! I love this combination too! 🙂
These cookies took me straight back to my Granny’s house as a child! They were so easy to make and they were absolutely delicious.
I'm so glad they brought back such nice memories! They're such a fun nostalgic snack. Glad you enjoyed! 🙂
These look really Dainty! I love that use two types of sugar and brown sugar in particular really does pair well with peanut butter.
I agree! I love brown sugar in peanut butter cookies.
Your recipes never disappoint and these were no different. My family is already asking me to make them again!
Thank you so much!! I'm so glad your family enjoyed these!
I made these cookies for my brother since he's a huge fan of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Now he's a fan of these cookies!
I'm so glad he liked them!! Thanks for trying out the recipe 🙂
I love thumbprint cookies! These were the perfect combination!
Thanks! Peanut butter and jelly are so classic together! 🙂
Peanut butter? I'm in! I can see myself enjoying these peanut butter & jelly thumbprint cookies, with a cup of a hot cup of tea.
They would be amazing with tea!! I hope you enjoy! 🙂
These cookies are perfect for little hands. I substituted the peanut butter for sunbutter and they were divine!
Sounds delicious! Glad you enjoyed them 🙂
Can you say delicious....you had me at peanut butter! That crystallized sugar on top and that filling in the middle is giving me life! I’m a sweet fanatic.....can’t you tell lol!
I'm right there with you! Huge sweet tooth here!