*This post contains affiliate links — please see my disclosure for details*.
Last Updated on October 21, 2020 by Chenée Lewis
I am not at all opposed to a box mix. Whether it’s cake, brownies, or even store-bought cookie dough, baking shortcuts definitely have their place in my book. And that’s especially true for box brownies. Somehow, box brownie manufacturers have harnessed a formula for a great balance of fudgy and cakey that I love. I’ve never had a box brownie mix that wasn’t delicious! But as great as box mixes are, these triple-chocolate pecan brownies have definitely become my go-to brownie recipe.
What makes these brownies better than a box mix?
First of all, these brownies — as you may have guessed from their name — boast three types of chocolate. Unsweetened cocoa powder, milk chocolate chunks, and semi-sweet chocolate chips. I found this combination to strike a balance that’s chocolatey and sweet, but not overly sweet.
Plus these brownies are perfect mix of fudgy and cakey. I’ve heard about this ongoing fudgy-vs-cakey debate, and my position is– why not both? I love brownies that are fudgy and slightly gooey in the center, but slightly cakey on the outside and crispy on the edges. So these brownies are the best of both worlds!
Finally, the chocolate flavor in these brownies is boosted by the addition of a few bonus ingredients.
- Espresso powder. The slight coffee flavor makes the chocolate a bit more complex and balances out the flavors perfectly.
- Brown butter. It’s an optional step, but I couldn’t resist — the nutty brown butter flavor complements the pecans and the chocolate so well!
- Toasted pecans. I personally love that crunch that nuts can add to a soft, fudgy brownie. You can toast up some pecan chips from the baking aisle, or just chop up some roasted pecans.
How to make triple-chocolate pecan brownies
- First, you’ll want to mix your wet ingredients in a bowl until smooth.
- Add in sugars and. mix well.
- Then, sift in your dry ingredients and fold in nuts.
- Smooth the batter into the pan and bake!
Brownies are a super easy and always satisfying dessert. Sometimes life just calls for chocolate, you know? Enjoy this recipe and let me know how it works for you!
- 1 cup brown butter – slightly cooled (made from salted butter)*
- 3 large eggs – room temperature
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar – packed
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder – (75g)
- 1 cup flour – (120g)
- ½ tsp espresso powder – optional; alternatively, you can add a tablespoon of strong coffee
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 king size Hershey's milk chocolate bar – chopped (2.3 oz; about ½ cup)
- 1 cup chopped pecans – toasted**
- powdered sugar – for dusting (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×9" baking pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together brown butter, eggs, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Whisk in sugars and mix well.
- Sift cocoa powder, flour, espresso powder, and salt into the bowl and fold with rubber spatula until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, and pecans.
- Add batter to pan and smooth to the edges
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until center is set. I like my brownies slightly fudgy in the center but with crisp, slightly cakey edges, so adjust cooking time a bit according to your preference.
- Cool in pan for 20 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.
Dessert bars are my favorite type of recipe! So easy and always delicious! Check out my other dessert bar recipes here, and happy baking!