*This post contains affiliate links — please see my disclosure for details*.
Last Updated on December 7, 2020 by Chenée Lewis
Maybe you’re like me, and the crust is your favorite part of the pie. And when you finally pop a pie into the oven, it breaks your heart to waste all those pie crust scraps! I mean, you put in the work to make a truly delicious all-butter pie crust, and you hate to see any of that goodness go to waste. If that’s you, then these pie crust cookie twists are here to save the day.
In fact, even if you don’t have leftover pie crust and you just want to grab a store-bought pie crust for an incredibly easy and unique cookie idea, this recipe is for you too!
These pie crust cookies remind me a little of the cinnamon swirls from Taco Bell that I used to have as a kid — fun little finger food sweet treats that are crisp, flaky, and delicious. But these are even better because they’re made with pie crust, and they come with a sweet vanilla icing for dipping! Plus, you can throw these pie crust cookies together in just a few minutes!
Pie crust makes the easiest cookie ever!
If you can stir together some cinnamon and sugar, you can make these pie crust cookie twirls. They come together in just a few steps:
- Roll out the pie crust
- Sprinkle with turbinado sugar
- Flip, and brush with melted butter
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar
- Cut, twirl and bake!
Once you’ve tried this super easy recipe for cookie twists, you’ll never toss out leftover pie crust scraps again!
The best part… the dipping sauces
I honestly think I only make these pie crust cookies for an excuse to have these two decadent dipping sauces. The cookies are delicious on their own, but thehe firm, flaky twists are just begging to be dipped into a creamy vanilla icing or a rich salted caramel sauce. And don’t worry — both sauces are incredibly easy to whip up while the cookies are cooling!
You can dip the twists into the sauce, or you can drizzle them on top. Either way, you can’t go wrong!
Whether you eat your pie crust cookies on their own or with the dipping sauces, these pie crust cookie twists area genius way to enjoy those leftover pie crust scraps!
You’ll need a pizza cutter or sharp knife to cute your pie crust into strips, and a sheet pan and liner (or parchment paper) to bake them! Otherwise, there’s no special equipment you need for this easy pie crust cookie twists recipe!
If you’re looking for pie crust cookies, then I assume you’ve already tried my Flaky All-Butter Pie Crust Recipe! If not, you should definitely check it out! It’s the only pie crust recipe I use — it’s so easy, and it comes out flaky and perfect every time!
But if you’re looking for more cookie ideas, I’ve got you covered! Check out my Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies for a delicious PB&J-themed treat that your whole family will love! Or try my Stout Gingerbread Cookies with Brown Butter Cream Cheese Frosting. They bring the classic holiday flavors of gingerbread together with full-bodied stout beer, and brown butter cream cheese frosting!
Equipment you may need
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine cinnamon and granulated sugar in a small bowl.
- Roll pie dough into a rough rectangle and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Flip rectangle and press slightly with hands rolling pin to press into sugar.
- Brush dough with melted butter, then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Fold rectangle in half and cut into 1-inch strips with a pizza cutter.
- Twist strips around themselves and place on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool fully before serving.
Vanilla Icing (Optional)
- Whisk together all icing ingredients until smooth.
Salted Caramel Dipping Sauce (Optional)
- Combine heavy cream and caramel bits in a small microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat for 30 seconds in microwave; stir.
- Heat again in 15-second intervals as needed, stirring after each, until smooth.
- Cool slightly. Add flaky sea salt to taste.
Pin this recipe for later:
Thanks for checking out this recipe! If you want more like it, SUBSCRIBE BELOW for all my latest updates! PLUS, when you subscribe you’ll get your FREE PRINTABLE Kitchen and Baking Cheat Sheet!