Easy sweet potato pie with graham cracker crust and condensed milk is so perfect for your special occasion! It’s a southern sweet potato pie recipe with condensed milk and brown sugar that won’t take you all day to make! And you can even turn this recipe into mini sweet potato pies with graham cracker crust!
If you love this sweet potato pie with condensed milk and graham cracker crust, try my Pumpkin Mousse Pie with Maple Cookie Crust, an easy no bake pumpkin pie recipe! Or my Frozen Sweet Potato Fries in Air Fryer, for more sweet potato goodness! And my Coffee Cookies are another delicious idea for more sweet cinnamon flavor!
*This post contains affiliate links — as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure for details*.
Easy Sweet Potato Pie with Condensed Milk and Graham Cracker Crust
If you're a fan of my Brown Butter Sweet Potato Pie Recipe, then you know that a rich, flavorful, Grandma old fashioned sweet potato pie recipe is one of my favorite family traditions! That recipe is the best sweet potato pie recipe EVER, but sometimes you want something a little easier. Maybe you're a bit of a baking beginner. Or maybe you're short on time, or it's Thanksgiving day and you're making 15 other dishes at once.
Either way, this southern sweet potato pie is easy and quick, with the perfect blend of spices and sweet potato flavor! It whips up so nicely in just a few minutes, and using condensed milk and a grocery store-bought crust saves you so many steps and gets it on your dessert tables in a snap! And if you want to try a savory sweet potato recipe, try my Sweet Potato Patties with Chickpeas and Creamy Avocado Sauce!
Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie with Condensed Milk Recipe
A typical southern sweet potato pie recipe usually contains milk, heavy cream, or (my favorite) evaporated milk, as well as white or brown sugar. But since we're using sweetened condensed milk, the sugar you need for the recipe is already included! As you'll see below, you can add a little sugar to fit your tastes, but it's up to you!
Can you bake a pie in a premade graham cracker crust?
Absolutely! You can make this sweet potato pie with store-bought graham cracker crust and it comes out great! I love a recipe that's easy as... well, pie! It's the best last-minute dessert, and great with ice cream or whipped cream on top of the pie!
And if you prefer, you can also make your own graham cracker crust with graham crackers or graham cracker crumbs -- just use the graham cracker crust recipe in my Lemon Icebox Pie recipe, and follow the instructions below in the recipe card.
How do you keep a graham cracker crust from burning?
I haven't had any issue with the graham cracker crust burning while making this creamy sweet potato pie. But one way to prevent it is to cover the edges of the pie with strips of foil if you notice it getting too brown.
Creamy Sweet Potato Pie Ingredients
You can check out the recipe card below for detailed ingredient measurements and conversions, but here are the basic ingredients you'll need for this sweet potato pie with graham cracker crust:
- graham cracker crust - you'll need either a store-bought graham cracker crust or a homemade one. If you use a homemade crust recipe like the one from my Cannoli Pie, be sure to check the recipe card below for instructions on how to pre-bake it! You can also grab some mini crusts to make mini sweet potato pies with graham cracker crust.
- sweet potato - you'll need about one pound of sweet potatoes for this creamy sweet potato pie recipe. That amounts to about one large sweet potato or two small ones, depending on the size of the sweet potatoes. Use a kitchen scale to double check!
- butter - I recommend using salted butter, but if you use unsalted butter just add in ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- sweetened condensed milk - this key ingredient provides richness, structure, and sweetness all in one to make this pie even easier! For this recipe we're using sweetened condensed milk, not evaporated milk. If you're looking for a southern sweet potato pie recipe made with evaporated milk, check out my Brown Butter Sweet Potato Pie!
- cinnamon & nutmeg - these warm spices complement the flavor of the sweet potatoes perfectly. If you can, use freshly grated whole nutmeg.
- vanilla - make sure you use a good-quality pure vanilla extract. Or better yet, check out my post on how to make vanilla extract at home with just 2 ingredients!
- brown sugar - this is optional, because the sweetened condensed milk provides plenty of sweetness to this pie. You can taste the filling prior to adding the eggs, and add a little brown sugar as needed.
- eggs - be sure your eggs are room temperature to help the filling mix nice and smoothly.
If you're using a store-bought graham cracker crust, you won't need an additional pie pan. But if you're making your own graham cracker crust, you'll want to press it into a pie plate. You can also make this recipe with a 9x9 baking pan to make sweet potato bars with graham cracker crust!
I also like to use an immersion blender to purée my sweet potatoes. I find that it produces a smoother creamy sweet potato pie. You can also use a potato masher, food processor, or a hand mixer.
How do you use a premade graham cracker crust?
Check the recipe card to see the full instructions and tips on how to make this with a homemade graham cracker crust, but here are the basic steps for this sweet potato pie with condensed milk and graham cracker crust:
Bake sweet potato and purée flesh in a large bowl.
Add in condensed milk, vanilla, spices, and butter to sweet potato puree and whisk until smooth.
Taste and add a little brown sugar if desired before mixing in eggs.
Pour sweet potato filling into graham cracker crust and bake!
Hint: Be sure to remove your pie from the oven while the center is still jiggly. It'll set as it cools for a perfectly smooth, creamy texture. If the cooking time is too long or if you wait until the center is set to take the pie out, it may crack as it cools.
Gluten Free Sweet Potato Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
If you or your guests follow a gluten-free diet, you can make a gluten free version of this creamy sweet potato pie!
Just make a gluten free crust with gluten-free graham cracker crumbs, following the instructions set out in my Lemon Icebox Pie recipe!
Mini Sweet Potato Pies with Graham Cracker Crust
You can make personalized pies with 12 mini graham cracker crusts! Just fill them as usual, and bake the mini pies on a cookie sheet. You'll only need to bake them for 15-20 minutes, or until the pies are just barely set.
Sweet Potato Bars with Graham Cracker Crust
You can also turn this great recipe into easy sweet potato bars with graham cracker crust. Just press a homemade graham cracker crust into the bottom of a 9x9 pan and pre-bake as listed below in the recipe card. Then pour in your filling and bake as normal. You may need to check it for doneness 3-5 minutes early. Chill in fridge before cutting into sweet potato pie bars.
You can store this southern sweet potato pie recipe in the fridge, wrapped well in foil or plastic wrap, for up to 4 days. You can also use the plastic lid of the graham cracker crust packaging as a storage lid! Just flip it over, remove the label and clean the surface of the plastic, and then secure it to the pie with the foil edges of the pan.
This delicious pie can be frozen, wrapped well in heavy duty foil, for up to two months.
This creamy sweet potato pie with graham cracker crust has the best texture when served at room temperature. If storing it in the fridge, for best results bring it to room temperature before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
The eggs in a sweet potato pie recipe work with milk to create a custard filling that thickens as it bakes. In this recipe, we'll add to that a thicker milk like sweetened condensed milk, and you get the best sweet potato pie recipe ever!
Patti LaBelle's sweet potato pie is a classic creamy sweet potato pie that brings together all the delicious flavors of sweet potatoes, brown sugar, and flaky pie crust. It has the added fun twist of a "black-bottom" brown sugar crust! If you like Patti LaBelle's recipe, you'll love my Brown Butter Sweet Potato Pie Recipe, which combines that black-bottom crust with an incredible brown butter filling. It's a decadent homemade sweet potato pie recipe that will shine on your Thanksgiving dessert table!
If your pie isn't firm enough, chances are it's underbaked. If you're baking a sweet potato pie with graham cracker crust, you'll know it's done once the edges are set and the center is jiggly.
You can skip baking fresh sweet potatoes, and use one of my favorite shortcuts -- steaming frozen bagged sweet potato cubes in the microwave! Just steam a bag or two according to the package directions, let them cool a bit, then purée them as usual with your immersion blender! Super easy! You should have about 1½-2 cups of purée to add in to your pie filling.
If you try this recipe, I would love it if you could leave a star review rating and comment below! It’s so wonderful hearing your feedback! And don’t forget to share your creations with me by tagging @chenee_today on Instagram!
Equipment you may need
- immersion blender
- 1 large (340 g) sweet potato - about 1 pound
- 6 tablespoon (89 ml) salted butter - melted
- 14 oz (397 g) sweetened condensed milk - one can
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon (1 ml) ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon (1 ml) ground nutmeg - freshly grated if possible
- 2 large eggs - beaten
- ¼ cup (55 g) light brown sugar - optional
- Preheat oven to 425°F and prick skin of sweet potato with a fork and brush with oil. Bake on a cookie sheet 60 minutes or until tender (see note for air fryer instructions). Let cool.1 large sweet potato
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, purée sweet potato flesh with an immersion blender, potato masher, or hand mixer.
- Add melted butter, condensed milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla.6 tablespoon salted butter, 14 oz sweetened condensed milk, ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Taste the mixture and if desired, add brown sugar as needed to your preference. Then mix in eggs until smooth.¼ cup light brown sugar, 2 large eggs
- Pour mixture into a prepared graham cracker crust (see note for instructions to make this pie with a homemade graham cracker crust).
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or until edges of filling are set and center is jiggly. Let pie cool for 1 hour before serving at room temperature.
Wondering if there is some of the pie filling left can it be stored? Very easy recipe!!!!
I haven't tried storing leftover filling before, but I would imagine it would last in the fridge for a couple of days 🙂
Can you put a cream cheese bottom in this
I haven't tried that but it sounds delicious!
Such an easy recipe to follow and perfect for family celebrations. I love the hack of using the frozen potato too.
Thank you so much! So glad you like the pie!
Great recipe! You cannot beat a classic done right! Very flavoursome, the filling set beautifully (just the right texture for us) and just the right amount of sweetness for us! Thanks for the recipe!
Wonderful! So glad you liked it!
This sweet potato pie looks so delicious. I like all the shortcuts you have shared. So convenient. Will try this recipe soon.
Wonderful! I hope you love it!
This is such a classic recipe and it's always a hit with my family! I'll be making it again during the holidays for sure!
Wonderful! So glad you like it!
Absolutely delicious! It was my first time making a sweet potato pie and it turned out perfectly. So impressed! Yum yum.
So glad to hear it! 🙂
Saving this for Thanksgiving. Love that the crust is premade! Saves time on such a busy cooking day.
Absolutely! Hope you love it on Thanksgiving!