*This post contains affiliate links — please see my disclosure for details*.
Last Updated on December 20, 2020 by Chenée Lewis
We’ve made it to Day 11 of my 12 Days of Christmas Cookies series! And this is a good one. All my fellow 80s babies remember the iconic mall stores that sold those amazing chocolate chip cookie cakes! The ones with the frosting piped around the edges and “Happy Birthday” written in the middle. They were so amazing, and really take me back to childhood, especially at holiday time! Luckily, we’ve got this Christmas cookie cake to bring back all those memories!
Best of all, it’s SO easy to make — the dough is basically the same as a classic chocolate chip cookie dough, but instead of having to scoop out dozens of cookies, you’ll just need to press the dough into your springform pan! It couldn’t be easier! Let’s get into the ingredients you’ll need for this Christmas cookie cake!
- salted butter – I like to use salted butter, but if you only have unsalted that’s fine too! Just add 1/2 tsp salt in with your dry ingredients later!
- brown sugar & granulated sugar – I like a combo of brown sugar and white sugar to achieve a sweetness in this Christmas Cookie cake that is rich, but balanced.
- eggs – make sure your eggs are room temperature!
- pure vanilla extract – vanilla is a major flavor in this cookie cake, so make sure you use a great-quality vanilla extract.
- all-purpose flour – I definitely recommend measuring your flour by weight using a kitchen scale. For this recipe, you’ll need 288 grams of flour.
- baking soda – gives this Christmas cookie cake a bit of lift!
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips – I like the look and texture of mini chips, but you can use regular chocolate chips or chunks of semisweet chocolate if you like!
- m&ms – I like to add some holiday M&Ms to the top of the cake before baking, and also on top of the frosting after it’s baked!
- sprinkles – I like to use a mix of festive sprinkles to add some fun to this Christmas Cookie cake!
- frosting – you’ll need a buttercream frosting to pipe on to decorate this cookie cake! I like to keep this recipe super easy, so I grabbed a Pillsbury filled pastry bag to make decorating the cookie cake as quick and simple as possible. You could also use a store-bought decorating icing! Or if you’d like to make a great buttercream frosting from scratch, check out my mini vanilla cake recipe!
The main tool you’ll need for this Christmas Cookie cake is a 9-inch springform pan, cake pan, or a tart pan with a removable bottom, which is what I used. If you use a tart pan, be sure it’s at least 1.5 inches deep to accommodate the amount of cookie dough!
Step by Step
- Start your Christmas cookie cake by creaming together your butter and sugars with an electric mixer. Once they’re nice and fluffy, add in your eggs and vanilla. Mix another few minutes until everything is fluffy and smooth.
- Then you’ll sift in your flour and baking soda (and salt, if using unsalted butter).
- Fold the dry ingredients in using a rubber spatula. You don’t want to overmix the dough, so just fold until everything is just barely combined. Now you’re almost done!
- Fold in your chocolate chips until they’re evenly distributed. Then press your dough into your prepared pan. You can use your hands or coat a spoon with a little powdered sugar to keep it from sticking to the dough.
- Now you can have fun with your m&ms and sprinkles! Sprinkle them all over the top of the cake — as many as you like!
- Bake! Check it after 20 minutes — it should be done but slightly soft in the center, which is perfect! Let your Christmas cookie cake cool completely before decorating with frosting and more sprinkles!
And for another classic holiday cookie recipe, you definitely should try my no-chill cutout Sugar Cookies with Sprinkles! They’re my new go-to for our Christmas Eve cookie-making tradition!
Equipment you may need
- 1 cup salted butter – room temperatuer (2 sticks)
- ½ cup light brown sugar – packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs – room temperature
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour – (288 grams)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup holiday m&ms
- ¼ cup sprinkles, nonpareils, and/or sanding sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a springform pan, tart pan, or cake pan with baking spray (see note).
- In a bowl, cream together butter and sugars with an electric mixer for about 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Mix in eggs, followed by vanilla extract. Beat for another 2 minutes until smooth and fluffy.
- Sift in flour and baking soda. Fold with a rubber spatula until just incorporated.
- Fold in mini chocolate chips.
- Press dough into the bottom of prepared pan using hands or a spoon dipped in powdered sugar.
- Add sprinkles and M&Ms evenly to top of dough.
- Bake 20-25 minutes in preheated oven or until browned on the edges.
- Cool in pan at least 30 minutes, then remove from pan and transfer to a cooling rack until completely cooled.
- Use a piping bag to swirl frosting around the edge of cooled cake. Top frosting with M&Ms and sprinkles.
Thanks for checking out this recipe! If you want more like it, SUBSCRIBE BELOW for all my latest updates! PLUS, when you subscribe you’ll get your FREE PRINTABLE Kitchen and Baking Cheat Sheet!