Last Updated on August 17, 2021 by Chenée Lewis
When it’s hot out and the last thing you want to do is turn on the oven, no-bake desserts are a life saver! And what’s even better than a no-bake dessert on a hot day? A frozen dessert! And I’ve got a great one for you. If you love ice cream, chocolate, and peanuts, you will LOVE this Peanut Buster Parfait ice cream pie!
This ice cream pie is an homage to the famous Dairy Queen desserts, Peanut Buster Parfait and Buster Bars. They’re simple treats, but so good: vanilla soft serve, whole Spanish peanuts, and hot fudge (or in the case of the Buster Bar, a chocolate shell). I wanted to recreate those flavors, but in an ice cream pie that you can feel great about serving to company, for a birthday celebration, or for any special occasion! Best of all, it takes just ten minutes to put together and you won’t have to turn on your oven!
What is in a Peanut Buster Parfait?
If you’ve ever had a Peanut Buster Parfait at Dairy Queen, then you already know why this pie is so good! The simple goodness of vanilla soft serve sprinkled with roasted salted peanuts and draped in hot fudge is irresistible! It’s a classic combination that’s just begging to be turned into a pie!
And the best part? The pie crust. It’s not a flaky butter pastry, not a graham cracker crust, and not even an Oreo cookie crust. This crust is made out of crushed Nutter Butter Cookies. You read that right! This crust is full of even more peanut butter goodness and it’s perfect for this pie!
Plus, it couldn’t be easier to make. I’ll share a video below that shows how easy it is to make this Peanut Buster Parfait pie in just a few minutes! All you’ll need to do is gather a handful of ingredients and a pie pan!
This is a 6-ingredient dessert! Here’s what you’ll need to make this delicious Peanut Buster Parfait ice cream pie:
- vanilla ice cream – you can use regular dairy ice cream, or non-dairy ice cream, whatever you prefer! You can even bump up the peanut butter flavor by using the peanut butter-flavored ice cream of your choice! It should be soft, so let it sit out for 15 minutes or so before assembling your pie.
- crushed Nutter Butter cookies – you can crush them in your food processor, or just toss them into a freezer bag and crush them with your rolling pan. Perfect for getting out any aggression!
- melted butter – I use unsalted butter for this recipe, because there’s a good amount of salt in the peanuts, and the chocolate ganache isn’t too sweet!
- semi-sweet chocolate chips – semi-sweet is my preference because it keeps the pie from being overly sweet but still gives it that deep chocolate flavor.
- heavy cream – this, along with the chocolate chips, creates the ganache that we’ll be adding throughout our pie and as a topping!
- Spanish peanuts – the original Peanut Buster Parfait recipe uses Spanish peanuts, the ones that have the red skin still on them. But if you can’t find those, any roasted, salted whole peanuts will be great!
I like to use my quiche pan for this Peanut Buster Parfait pie recipe, because its removable bottom makes it so easy to slice and serve! But you can definitely use any pie pan that you have. You’ll also need an ice cream scoop and some wooden spoons or rubber spatulas to spread out the layers.
Step by Step
This recipe is incredibly easy! In the video above, I go through each of the steps to assemble this Peanut Buster Parfait ice cream pie:
- Make your chocolate ganache. Just add equal parts chocolate chips and heavy cream into a microwave-safe bowl and heat it in the microwave, in 15 second intervals, until chocolate chips are starting to melt, and then whisk the mixture together until it’s smooth. Let it cool to room temperature, and it should still be pourable.
- Make your crust. Combine your crushed peanut butter cookies and melted butter in a bowl and toss to get the butter all over those cookies!
- Press the cookie crust into your pie pan so that it’s even against the sides and bottom of the pan. Spread a little of your chocolate ganache onto the crust.
- Spread about half of your softened ice cream into the crust and even it out. Top with a handful of peanuts and some more chocolate ganache.
- Spread the rest of your ice cream on top, and top with more peanuts and chocolate.
- Pop it back into the freezer for another 3-5 hours so that it can solidify.
- Let it sit at room temperature a few minutes before slicing, and enjoy your Peanut Buster Parfait pie!
Tips and F.A.Q.
The peanut buster parfait uses Spanish peanuts, which are whole, roasted and salted peanuts with the red skins still on. These particular peanuts add so much great salty flavor and texture to the Peanut Buster Parfait, and also to this pie!
The Peanut Buster Parfait debuted at Dairy Queen way back in 1971! And it’s been a favorite ever since!
Absolutely! If you want to switch up this recipe, it’s so easy! Swap the vanilla ice cream for chocolate, peanut butter cup, butter pecan, or whatever your favorite flavor is! You can also swap the peanut butter cookies in the crust for Oreo cookies, vanilla wafers, or graham crackers!
This pie will stay fresh up to two weeks, well wrapped, in the freezer! But there’s no way it’ll last that long!
This Peanut Buster Parfait Ice Cream Pie isn’t the only summertime treat I have for you! If you enjoy this pie recipe, you’ll really love my no-churn key lime pie ice cream and my no-churn blackberry cheesecake ice cream with a Biscoff cookie swirl! You’ll love these ice cream recipes because they’re packed with flavor and texture, just like this ice cream pie!
If you want a summery treat that’s a little lighter, you will LOVE my yummy 3-ingredient strawberry banana sorbet! It’s also a no-churn recipe, so no ice cream maker needed! And it’s got no added sugars, and it’s paleo-friendly!
Peanut Buster Parfait Ice Cream Pie with Nutter Butter CrustPrint Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
Equipment you may need
- deep-dish tart pan
- Combine chocolate chips and heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat at 15-second intervals until chocolate chips begin to melt. Stir until ganache is fully mixed and smooth.
- Combine cookie crumbs and melted butter in a medium bowl and stir to saturate cookies with butter. Press into sides and bottom of pie pan.
- Coat bottom of crust with a thin layer of chocolate ganache.
- Spread one-half of ice cream over chocolate in pie pan and top with ½ cup of peanuts, followed by one-half of remaining chocolate ganache. Repeat with second half of ice cream, remaining peanuts, and another drizzle of ganache on top.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and place in freezer to solidify for 4-6 hours, or until firm. To serve, allow to sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
PIN this Peanut Buster Parfait ice cream pie recipe for later!