*This post contains affiliate links — as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure for details*.
Last Updated on November 27, 2020 by Chenée Lewis
I can still remember as a child in the early 90s when my mom would make us dump cake. It felt like magic — you just dump a few ingredients into a pan and out comes cake?! My little mind was blown. It wasn’t until I got older that I realized that dump cake was even cooler than I thought — there are so many variations outside of the traditional cherry-pineapple version my mom used to make. And this mini pumpkin pecan dump cake is my new favorite! It tastes like a cross between a pumpkin cobbler and a pumpkin pie, but with just a couple of steps! Plus, this is a small-batch recipe made in a 6-inch cake pan, perfect for just two or three (or one major pumpkin lover!)
What is a Dump Cake?
Like the name suggests, a dump cake requires you to layer, or “dump” all your ingredients directly into the pan, eliminating the creaming, whipping, folding, sifting, and stirring that a typical cake requires. Not only is the process easier, the ingredients list is very simple. Most dump cakes call for cake mix, butter, and some kind of fruit filling, so they’re only 3 or 4 ingredients long! This mini pumpkin pecan dump cake calls for a few extra ingredients to make the pumpkin filling, but it’s still SO easy! And it only takes a few ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need to make this super-easy pumpkin pecan dump cake:
- canned pumpkin – it should be 100% pumpkin purée, not pre-made pumpkin pie filling.
- evaporated milk – helps to create a creamy filling for this pumpkin pecan dump cake.
- egg – helps give the filling structure.
- pumpkin pie spice – those warm fall spices that go so well with pumpkin!
- brown sugar – I like to use dark brown sugar in this recipe to add more complexity to the sweetness, but it’s up to you if you want to use dark brown or light brown sugar.
- yellow cake mix – you can also use a spice cake mix, but I prefer yellow cake mix to control the level of spice.
- salted butter – cuts the sweetness a bit. Dump cake can sometimes be too sweet, so salted butter helps with that, and brings out those delicious pumpkin flavors!
- pecan chips – you know me — I love baking with pecans! The pecan chips sprinkled on top of this pumpkin pecan dump cake gives it a buttery crunch that fits so well with the flavors in the cake!
The best part about this mini pumpkin pecan dump cake recipe is that you don’t need anything special to make it — I use a 6-inch cake pan, but if you have another similarly-sized baking pan, you can use that too! Here are a few more tools I used to make this pumpkin pecan dump cake recipe:
Once you’ve got your ingredients and tools, you’re ready to go! This pumpkin pecan dump cake is SO easy to throw together, and you’ll be enjoying your small-batch fall dessert in no time! Don’t forget the whipped cream or ice cream to go with it!
If you are loving this mini pumpkin dump cake recipe, you’ll definitely want to try some of my other small-batch desserts — my mini vanilla cake is a hugely popular recipe on my site (and on YouTube!) and it’s easy to see why! It’s a fluffy, moist cake bursting with vanilla flavor and covered with an easy vanilla buttercream. Perfect for when you have a quick craving for cake but you don’t want to make a WHOLE cake!
Another great option if you love pumpkin desserts is my no-bake pumpkin mousse pie! It’s full of those amazing fall flavors in a light, airy filling, all wrapped up in a maple cookie crust! It’s to die for, and the best part is it’s no-bake! So no competing for the oven this Thanksgiving!
Pumpkin Pecan Dump CakePrint Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 6-inch cake pan with baking spray.
- In a bowl, whisk together pumpkin, evaporated milk, brown sugar, and egg. Pour mixture into cake pan.
- Sprinkle cake mix evenly on top, then sprinkle pecan chips over cake mix. Lay butter evenly on top of pecans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until filling is set and top is nicely golden brown.
Don’t lose this pumpkin pecan dump cake recipe! PIN it for later!
Thanks for checking out this recipe! If you want more like it, click the banner above to order my brand-new summer cookbook, Sweet Summertime! It’s got 22 exclusive summer-friendly recipes and it’s full of baking tips and guides for perfect results!
And sign up below for all my blog recipes and updates right in your inbox, and to get your FREE PRINTABLE Kitchen and Baking Cheat Sheet!