*This post contains affiliate links — as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure for details*.
Last Updated on April 5, 2021 by Chenée Lewis
I can’t be the only one who looks forward to Girl Scout Cookie season every year! Ever since I was a Brownie myself and went door-to-door selling cookies with my mom, I’ve been a fanatic for those little colorful boxes of cookies. And of course, my favorites were always Samoas! Whether you know them as Samoas or as Caramel DeLites, they’re clearly the BEST! Every year I make sure to support my local Girl Scout troops by grabbing a few boxes, but when it’s not cookie season, this Samoas Cookie Pie is definitely the next best thing!
Samoas are so good because they’ve got layers of flavors and textures that complement each other so well. Starting with a chocolate-dipped cookie base, then a caramel and toasted coconut layer, and finally more ribbons of fudge topping! They’re SO irresistible, and this Samoas cookie pie is no different! It brings together three incredible layers to create a delicious treat. Starting with a shortbread tart crust that’s so easy to make, we’ll top that with a layer of dark chocolate ganache, then toasted coconut and caramel, and finally drizzle more chocolate ganache on top for those signature stripes! Here’s everything you’ll need to make this Samoas cookie pie:
- flour – be sure you measure your flour correctly using a kitchen scale (171 grams) or the spoon-and-level method.
- sugar – we’re adding a bit of sugar to our crust to give it a light sweetness. You can also use brown sugar if you prefer it for this Samoas cookie pie!
- salted butter – I like to use salted butter for the most flavor in this shortbread crust. If you only have unsalted butter, you can add in 1/4 tsp of salt in with your flour.
- vanilla extract – be sure to use a good-quality pure vanilla extract. Or better yet, check out my post on how to make vanilla extract at home with just 2 ingredients!
- dark chocolate – we’ll use dark chocolate in both the chocolate ganache base of our Samoas cookie pie and for the dark chocolate ganache drizzle on top. You can use either dark chocolate or bittersweet chocolate, and either baking bars or chocolate chips. I used Ghirardelli Bittersweet Baking Chips (despite the photo above).
- heavy cream – you’ll need heavy cream for the two layers of chocolate ganache, as well as to combine with the baking caramels to create our coconut-caramel layer.
- unsweetened shredded coconut – You can toast your own shredded coconut, or buy toasted coconut flakes to make it even easier.
- baking caramels – to make the caramel layer super easy, we’ll be using Kraft baking caramels. You can also use any other caramel candies that you like — you’ll need most of an 11-ounce bag of caramels.
Tips and F.A.Q.
I used a 9-inch tart pan because I love the look it gives, and the ease of the removable bottom. You can also use a regular pie pan, or even a 9-inch square baking pan to turn this recipe into Samoa dessert bars!
Definitely! Just let it set fully at room temperature, then place it in the freezer to freeze solid. Wrap it in plastic wrap, then in heavy duty aluminum foil, and your Samoas cookie pie will stay fresh in the freezer for up to two months! Let it thaw, wrapped, at room temperature before serving.
If you’re loving this Samoa dessert, I’ve got another fun copycat treat for you! My Peanut Buster Parfait Ice Cream Pie has all the amazing flavors of the classic Dairy Queen treat, plus it’s got an incredible Nutter Butter cookie crust bringing it all together!
Or if you’re a coconut lover, you should definitely try my Coconut Macadamia Oatmeal Cookies with White Chocolate Chunks. They’re just as decadent as this Samoas cookie pie, plus they have the buttery crunch of macadamia nuts! So amazing!
Dark Chocolate Ganache Layer
- 5 oz dark chocolate - chopped baking bar or dark chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
Dark Chocolate Drizzle
- ¼ cup dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp heavy cream - plus more if needed
Prepare Shortbread Crust
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer or in the bowl of stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes until well combined and fluffy.
- Mix in vanilla extract until well combined.
- Add in flour gradually until dough comes together.
- Press dough into bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie or tart pan. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Allow to cool.
Dark Chocolate Ganache
- Heat heavy cream in the microwave until it is hot, but not scalding. Pour over chocolate in a heatproof bowl.
- Let sit for 5 minutes, then stir to melt chocolate. If necessary, heat mixture in microwave another 15 seconds at a time to fully melt.
- Spread ganache over bottom of cooled shortbread crust. Set aside.
- Heat heavy cream and caramels in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring.
- Continue stirring as caramels slowly melt and combine with cream to form a caramel sauce.
- Once caramel sauce is fully melted and smooth, add toasted coconut and stir until well coated.
- Drop coconut-caramel mixture by spoonfuls over chocolate ganache layer, and gently spread evenly with a spatula or back of a spoon.
Dark Chocolate Drizzle
- Heat cream in the microwave until hot. Pour over chocolate in a heatproof bowl.
- Let sit for 5 minutes, then stir to melt.
- Once smooth, place ganache into a plastic piping bag or plastic zipper bag. Cut a tiny hole in one corner, and pipe the chocolate in zigzag stripes across the pie.
- Let set, and serve at room temperature.
Thanks for checking out this recipe! If you want more like it, SUBSCRIBE BELOW for all my latest updates! PLUS, when you subscribe you’ll get your FREE PRINTABLE Kitchen and Baking Cheat Sheet!