Last Updated on November 21, 2020 by Chenée Lewis
When it comes to baking (and cooking in general), I’m definitely a fan of textures. Flavor is, of course, very important. But a great texture makes a dish spectacular! Case in point: these coconut macadamia oatmeal cookies. Of course, oatmeal cookies have a great texture already, but what happens when you throw in the buttery crunch of macadamia nuts, creamy white chocolate chunks, and some toasty shredded coconut? MAGIC happens.
How to make Coconut Macadamia Oatmeal Cookies
These cookies come together very easily, and are made with all of your standard oatmeal cookie standbys: oats, butter, cinnamon, vanilla, etc.
- First, you’ll need to make sure your butter is softened — if you let it sit out for about an hour it should be good.
- When butter is softened, cream it with the sugars, and add your egg and extracts.
- Fold in your dry ingredients, and then your mix-ins, and chill your dough.
This recipe is a little like my Praline Pecan Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies. I was going for a bit of those same buttery crisp edges. But these are a little softer and chewier, and that distinctive coconut flavor fits perfectly with the white chocolate and macadamias. The difference between a flatter, crisper cookie and a chewier, thicker cookie is chilling the dough.
I made these cookies both ways, and I love both versions! The cookies that weren’t chilled came out crisper with buttery, caramelized edges. The chilled cookies were thicker and chewier, but still nice and buttery! So you can definitely choose your own adventure when it comes to these coconut macadamia oatmeal cookies.
How to toast macadamia nuts
Not to worry! If you can’t find roasted macadamia nuts easily, you can make your own in just 10 minutes! Just pick up some raw macadamias and roast them quickly in your oven:
- Preheat your oven to 325°F.
- Spread macadamias in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment or foil.
- Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- Cool before using in the cookies. That’s it!
Coconut Macadamia Oatmeal Cookies with White Chocolate ChunksPrint Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
- ½ cup unsalted butter - softened (1 stick)
- ½ cup light or dark brown sugar - packed
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg - room temperature
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut extract - optional
- 1 cup all-purpose flour - (128g)
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats - (90g)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- 4 oz white baking chocolate - chopped
- ¾ cup sweetened flaked coconut
- ½ cup roasted macadamia nuts - chopped (see note)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and coconut extract and beat until combined.
- Add flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and stir with a spatula until just combined.
- Fold in the white chocolate, coconut, and macadamia nuts.
- (Optional) Chill dough in refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Scoop rounded tablespoons of dough and roll into balls. Arrange on parchment-lined baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake until golden on edges, about 12-14 minutes. Cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
PIN this oatmeal cookie recipe for later!
If you like cookies, you are definitely in the right place! If you want an updated classic, check out my coconut palmiers! Or check out my salted caramel cinnamon thumbprints, which are even more delicious than they look! Let me know below what other cookie recipes you’d like to try!