The best chicken macaroni salad recipe is perfect for picnics or quick and easy dinners! A simple rotisserie chicken salad full of fresh veggies and lots of flavor! And if you like this cold chicken macaroni salad, you’ll love my Rotisserie Chicken Salad, my Vegan Couscous Salad with Charred Corn, and my Shrimp Macaroni Salad With Cajun Spices!
*This post contains affiliate links — as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure for details*.
Best Chicken Macaroni Salad Recipe
Ever since I made my shrimp macaroni salad I've wanted to try another macaroni salad recipe that can work as both a side dish and a main dish! And this is the best chicken macaroni salad recipe -- so simple to make, so versatile, and guaranteed to be a hit with a crowd!
The best thing about this chicken macaroni salad is how easy it is to throw together! You can use leftover shredded chicken, like I did, or make it even easier with canned chicken! Then it's just a matter of boiling your pasta and mixing everything together in a bowl. That simple! So let's take a look at what you'll need:
Rotisserie Chicken Macaroni Salad Ingredients
- ditalini pasta - You can use any small, shaped pasta that you like, but ditalini is my favorite for this cold chicken macaroni salad!
- celery - the crunchy freshness of celery is perfect in this macaroni salad!
- red onion - I love the bold flavor of red onion, but you can also use white or yellow onion if you prefer.
- red bell pepper - adds a slight hint of sweetness to this salad.
- green onions - I love green onion and the flavor it adds to this salad, but you can feel free to leave it out since we're also using red onion.
- parsley - you can also use another herb you love like parsley, cilantro, or dill!
- shredded chicken breast - I love to make this salad with leftover chicken breast, meat from a store-bought rotisserie chicken, or 3 5-oz. cans of canned chicken!
Then to make the simple dressing for this salad, you'll need:
- mayonnaise - this one is my favorite for a creamy texture!
- sour cream - adds another layer of creaminess and a cool tangy element to this recipe.
- dijon mustard - I love the flavor that a touch of dijon adds to this salad. You can also use a whole-grain dijon for added texture.
- garlic powder - for a bold garlic flavor!
- cayenne powder - I like to add a bit of cayenne powder to add a little spice!
- chicken bouillon powder - THIS is the secret -- it adds so much flavor. You can feel free to omit it, or use a bit of chicken stock instead, but to me the chicken bouillon powder really bumps up the chicken flavor.
- salt and pepper, to taste
This simple chicken macaroni salad is so easy to make! Once you've got your veggies chopped and your creamy dressing whipped up, you'll just need a mixing bowl and wooden spoon to stir it all up!
Tips and F.A.Q.
If you're wondering how do you make mac salad moist, here's my best tip! Make sure that you rinse the macaroni well before adding it to your chicken macaroni salad! Rinsing it gets rid of some of the starch, which will minimize absorption of the creamy dressing!
Yes! I love the crunch that celery adds to this macaroni salad recipe. If you don't care for celery, you can omit it, but I find that it adds a great texture contrast!
Any small shaped pasta like elbow macaroni, shells, or cavatappi would be great options! I usually make this chicken macaroni salad with ditalini! You can also use chickpea pasta and omit the bouillon powder to make this salad gluten free!
I typically use about 1 or 1½ of a leftover cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast. But you can also pick up a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket or use canned chicken -- if you opt for canned chicken you'll need about three 5-ounce cans.
This one is! The flavorful creamy dressing adds so much flavor to the crunchy veggies and chicken. So letting it sit up to 24 hours before serving allows the flavors to mesh together and makes the salad so good! Just make sure that you rinse your macaroni so that it's just as creamy the next day!
If stored in an airtight container, your salad should stay fresh up to 4 days in the fridge.
You may not have cooked your pasta fully -- slightly undercooking it allows into continue absorbing dressing after cooking. Or you may have forgotten to rinse off the excess starch before adding your pasta. Also, you may need to check the container where your salad is being stored to make sure it's airtight to prevent moisture from evaporating.
If you try this recipe, I would love it if you could leave a star review rating and comment below! It’s so wonderful hearing your feedback! And don’t forget to share your creations with me by tagging @chenee_today on Instagram!
More Savory Recipes You'll Love
- Lemon Shrimp Pasta with Kale
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup
- Paleo Chicken Thigh Recipe with Roasted Vegetables
- Havarti Grilled Cheese with Bacon and Caramelized Onion
- Boursin Pasta - Tiktok Viral Recipe
Chicken Macaroni SaladPrint Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
Equipment you may need
- 8 oz (227 g) ditalini pasta - uncooked
- ½ medium red bell pepper - chopped
- ½ cup (80 g) red onion - chopped
- 1 celery stalk - chopped
- 2 green onions - chopped
- 2 teaspoon (1 g) fresh Italian parsley - chopped
- 1¼ cup (280 g) mayonnaise
- ¼ cup (58 g) sour cream
- 2 tablespoon (30 g) dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon (30 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon (3 g) garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon (1 g) cayenne pepper - or to taste
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) chicken bouillon powder - optional
- 1½ cup (140 g) cooked chicken breast - shredded
- sea salt and cracked black pepper - to taste
- Cook ditalini according to package directions. Rinse with cold water and drain.8 oz ditalini pasta
- In a large bowl, combine drained pasta, red pepper, red onion, celery, green onions, and parsley. Toss to combine. Set aside.8 oz ditalini pasta, ½ medium red bell pepper, ½ cup red onion, 1 celery stalk, 2 green onions, 2 teaspoon fresh Italian parsley
- In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, dijon mustard, lemon juice, garlic powder, cayenne, and bouillon powder until smooth.1¼ cup mayonnaise, ¼ cup sour cream, 2 tablespoon dijon mustard, 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
- Add mayonnaise mixture to the pasta mixture and stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Toss in shredded chicken until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.1½ cup cooked chicken breast, sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Cover with plastic wrap or place in airtight container and chill in refrigerator for at least one hour or up to 24 hours before serving.
Last Updated on February 8, 2022 by Chenée Lewis
You had me at macaroni salad. I love the addition of rotisserie chicken to make it a meal. Loved this dish so much that I plan to make it again for a church social.
Absolutely delicious! I added a bit more chicken and made this my lunch for the week. So good, and so easy. Thank you!
This recipe is so good! So easy to make and so delicious.
Thanks for the ditalini pasta choice, I had never tried it before, and it was a game changer. I am a new fan! By the way, the recipe was awesome!
Yay I'm glad you liked it! 🙂
This is the most perfect pasta salad i have ever had! Super filling, very very flavorful and so easy to put together!
Thank you!! I love the flavors in this pasta salad too.
This was my first time using ditalini pasta and I really enjoyed it in this macaroni salad. Adding in the chicken made it a delicious lunch with no need to add any other dishes to my plate!
That's why I love this dish! Glad you liked it too!
That chicken bouillon powder made me a believer! Wow! I loved this so much. It's officially in my summer rotation.
Thank you! It adds a nice boost of flavor that I love!
Great tasting recipe! The chicken bouillon was a great add!
Thanks! Glad you liked it!
I adore a good pasta salad in the summertime and this one did not disappoint!
Same here! Thanks!
This chicken macaroni salad was so simple to make and so flavorful! My family and I loved it! Thanks for the recipe!
So glad it was a hit! Thanks!