*This post contains affiliate links — as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure for details*.
Last Updated on June 10, 2021 by Chenée Lewis
Just in time for the summer cookout season, this easy spicy shrimp macaroni salad is a zesty, delicious way to celebrate with your family. It comes together in just a couple minutes with pasta, cooked shrimp, mayonnaise, ranch dressing, chopped celery and green onions, and Creole seasonings. It’s that easy and it definitely will be your new favorite shrimp macaroni salad!
This spicy shrimp macaroni salad is a fantastic easy summer dish, in part because it only takes a few ingredients! Here’s what you’ll need:
- macaroni or small shell pasta – I like the look of shell pasta, but you definitely can’t go wrong with elbow macaroni! Feel free to use whole wheat, chickpea, or any alternative type of pasta you like.
- cooked medium shrimp – makes this dish so easy! I bought a bag of frozen medium cooked shrimp, so all I had to do was thaw the shrimp and cut it into chunks!
- chopped celery and green onions – gives your salad a nice crunch! You can also add any other veggies you have on hand — I’ve seen this salad made with broccoli florets, green peppers, and white onions. Feel free to play around with what you’ve got!
- mayonnaise – crucial to give this shrimp macaroni salad that creamy consistency! I prefer Hellmann’s because it produces a creamier result.
- ranch dressing – secret weapon! Adds a lot of flavor and more creaminess. I can’t be the only Midwestern girl that grew up putting ranch on everything!
- Cajun or Creole seasoning – I use Tony Chachere’s, but feel free to use any that you prefer!
- fresh lemon juice – just to brighten it up and complement the Cajun seasoning.
- salt & pepper – you can add salt and pepper according to your preference to bring out the already amazing flavors in this shrimp pasta salad.
- hot sauce – this is optional, but for people who love their food spicy (like me), it’s really not optional. If you prefer, serve it on the side so that folks can add a little kick as the wish. I like Crystal hot sauce, but any hot sauce you like would be great!
This spicy shrimp macaroni salad doesn’t take any special tools — just a pot to cook your pasta, a big bowl to mix it all up, and some measuring cups and knives. It couldn’t be easier!
Step by Step…
There almost aren’t any steps to this spicy shrimp macaroni salad recipe. Once you have your ingredients ready, just toss them in a bowl and stir. It’s that simple! This is one of the easiest summer side dish recipes you’ll try! Here’s what you need to do:
- Cook and drain pasta. Boil your pasta in well-salted water, and make sure you cook your pasta so that it’s al dente. Since it’ll absorb some of the liquid once it’s mixed with everything else, you don’t want your shrimp macaroni salad to end up too mushy.
- Chop up your shrimp and veggies. Since we’re using cooked shrimp, getting the rest of the ingredients takes no time at all! I like to cut my shrimp into smaller pieces to distribute them more evenly, and chop my celery and green onions pretty finely.
- Toss all your ingredients in a big bowl. Get everything well coated with the mayo, ranch, lemon juice, and seasonings.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Give it a taste and add more cajun seasoning if you like. If you’re like me, you’ll also add a little hot sauce for even more of a kick!
Tips and F.A.Q.
Your shrimp macaroni salad should last up to two days, well covered, in the fridge. If you like, mix in a bit more ranch dressing and mayo to bump up the creaminess just before serving.
Since the shrimp is pre-cooked when you buy it, it’s up to you! I like medium shrimp in this macaroni salad, but you can also use larger shrimp, or go for the smaller salad-style shrimp.
One way we try to prevent the mayonnaise from absorbing too much into the macaroni is rinsing the macaroni before adding it to wash off some of the starch. I also make sure to use a full-fat, extra rich mayonnaise. A mayo with too much water content will absorb more quickly.
That could be a result of not rinsing the pasta before mixing it all together. The stickiness is another result of the starches present in the cooked macaroni, so remember to rinse your pasta to achieve a creamy shrimp macaroni salad!
If you like the cajun spices in this creamy shrimp macaroni salad, you should definitely try my New Orleans-style Barbecue Shrimp recipe! It’s a super quick stovetop recipe that sautés jumbo shrimp in a savory, buttery, Creole-spiced sauce. Perfect with crusty French bread to sop it all up!
Or, for another light pasta salad that’s perfect for a summertime meal, try my spicy peanut noodle salad! It’s gluten-free, thanks to the fantastic swap-in of chickpea noodles, and it’s vegan! But there’s nothing missing in this spicy, crunchy, satisfying cold noodle dish.
Shrimp Macaroni Salad – Creamy and Spicy!Print Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
- 1 lb (454 g) small shell or elbow macaroni pasta
- 1 lb (454 g) cooked medium shrimp - peeled, deveined and tails removed; cut in half
- 3 stalks celery - finely chopped
- 4 whole green onions - chopped
- 1 cup (224 g) mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup (80 g) buttermilk ranch dressing
- 3 tsp (15 ml) cajun or creole seasoning - plus more to taste
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh lemon juice
- salt & pepper - to taste (optional)
- hot sauce - optional
- Cook pasta one minute less than package directions in well salted water. Rinse, drain and place in large bowl.
- Add all other ingredients to bowl and stir.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings if desired.
- Chill at least 30 minutes until ready to serve.
Pin this shrimp macaroni recipe for later:
Thanks for checking out this recipe! If you want more like it, click the banner above to order my brand-new summer cookbook, Sweet Summertime! It’s got 22 exclusive summer-friendly recipes and it’s full of baking tips and guides for perfect results!
And sign up below for all my blog recipes and updates right in your inbox, and to get your FREE PRINTABLE Kitchen and Baking Cheat Sheet!