Orange Rosemary Olive Oil Cake
*This post contains affiliate links — please see my disclosure for details*.
Last week, I went to a small, laid-back dinner at a friend’s place. My friend, who is originally from Italy, was making pizza, so I wanted to bring a dessert with some Italian origins. I’ve recently been watching old episodes of Great British Bake-Off on Netflix, and I remembered seeing an olive oil cake challenge that looked so delicious. So I picked up some brightly flavored olive oil, and brightened up the cake with some orange zest and a little rosemary. The flavors worked perfectly!
Olive Oil Cake?
If you haven’t had an olive oil cake, you’re missing out! The olive oil balances sweetness perfectly. And in this version, the orange and rosemary flavors complement the olive oil so well. So you end up with a less decadent dessert, but one that is so satisfying, especially after a delicious Italian meal! Plus, olive oil keeps the cake moist for days and gives it a distinctive flavor that is amazing!
But the best part about this orange rosemary olive oil cake is how easy it is. I’ve been baking a lot of cakes recently, and this cake was a welcome break. This recipe calls for NO stand mixer, NO handheld mixer, NO softening of butter, and NO layering/assembling. It all comes together with a quick whisk (just try to set out your eggs to come to room temp).
It took about 5 minutes to get the batter together, basically as long as it took for the oven to preheat. I highly recommend this recipe if you’re looking for something impressive to bring to a dinner party or even for a low-key birthday celebration!
I wanted to keep this recipe simple, but you could definitely trade out the powdered sugar topping for a citrus icing or glaze, or even a cream cheese frosting. This olive oil cake is pretty much foolproof, so I would definitely feel free to customize! Let me know what changes you make!
- 2 tbsp finely grated orange zest – from about 1 1/2 oranges
- 1 ½ tbsp finely chopped rosemary leaves – (7g)
- 3 large eggs – room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar – (200g)
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil – (162g)
- ⅔ cup whole milk – (160g)
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract – (2g)
- ½ tsp orange extract – (2g) optional
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour – (188g)
- 1½ tsp baking powder – (7g)
- ½ tsp kosher salt – (2g)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray an 8-inch round cake pan with baking spray with flour; line bottom of pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl until well combined.
- Add in orange zest and rosemary and mix well.
- Add olive oil, milk, and eggs, and extracts, mixing gently between each addition. Batter will be very liquidy.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 35 minutes. .
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, brush with additional olive oil, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store at room temperature wrapped loosely in foil or plastic wrap. Dust with powdered sugar just before serving, and garnish with a rosemary sprig.
If you liked this orange rosemary olive oil cake, stay tuned! I have a few more cake recipes coming up this month (shoutout to my Aquarius people) to satisfy that winter sweet tooth!