These chocolate chip rice krispie treats are such a treat! We’re adding to the fun and sweetness of the classic snack by making our rice krispie treats with chocolate chips! Plus, read on for more toppings for rice krispie treats, variations, and more fun! And if you love this recipe, you’ve gotta try my Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats, my Fancy Rice Krispie Treats with Brown Butter and White Chocolate Ganache, and my Cinnamon Sweet and Salty Kettle Corn!
*This post contains affiliate links — as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure for details*.
Chocolate Chip Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
Rice krispie treats are an all-time favorite snack! They're easy to make with just a few ingredients, they're a no-bake recipe, and they're always SO good! This rice krispie treats with chocolate chips recipe is based on one of my favorite rice krispie treats variations: my brown butter white chocolate rice krispie treats recipe! They have the perfect balance of buttery and vanilla flavors, crispy rice cereal, and gooey marshmallow!
What can you use instead of marshmallows for Rice Krispie Treats?
If you aren't able to find mini marshmallows for this recipe, you can also use regular-sized marshmallows or marshmallow fluff. Or for a healthier variation with added flavor, you can use almond butter and maple syrup!
Chocolate Chip Rice Krispie Treats Ingredients
- butter - I like to use salted butter, but if you use unsalted just add a pinch of salt to the mixture!
- mini marshmallows - you'll want to set aside about a cup of mini marshmallows that won't be melted -- this will give you those gooey pockets of marshmallow that are so good in rice krispie treats!
- pure vanilla extract - make sure you use a good-quality pure vanilla extract. Or better yet, check out my post on how to make vanilla extract at home with just 2 ingredients!
- crispy rice cereal - you can use Rice Krispies, or any other crispy rice cereal will work just as well!
- mini semi-sweet chocolate chips - I love using mini chocolate chips in this recipe to get lots of bits of chocolate in every bite, but you can use any chocolate chips you like!
This super easy chocolate rice krispie treats recipe doesn't require any special tools! You'll just need a 9x9 pan (or an 8x8 pan if you want really thick treats!) -- I like this one because it comes with a lid to store your treats for later! You'll also need a bowl or saucepan to heat everything in and a wooden spoon to stir with!
Why are my rice crispy treats falling apart?
Most likely, they're not ready to eat yet! This recipe makes chocolate chip rice krispie treats that are nice and gooey, so you'll have to give them a bit of time to firm up before they can be neatly cut. To speed up the process, you can place them in the fridge or freezer to help them solidify.
Toppings for Rice Krispie Treats - Variations
You can make these rice krispie treats with chocolate chips even more fun with additional mix-ins! I love the idea of of making these rice krispie treats with peanut butter chips or butterscotch chips instead! You can also melt some of your chocolate chips and drizzle the melted chocolate on top for a decadent touch!
You can also make these chocolate chip rice krispie treats with M&Ms for a colorful candy crunch, like I do in my M&M rice krispie treats recipe! Either way, you can't go wrong! you can make these delicious no-bake treats your own and customize them to your preference!
If you try this recipe, I would love it if you could leave a star review rating and comment below! It’s so wonderful hearing your feedback! And don’t forget to share your creations with me by tagging @chenee_today on Instagram!
More No-Bake Recipes You'll Love
- No Bake Oreo Cheesecake
- Cannoli Pie
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Mango Popsicles
- Fancy Rice Krispie Treats with Brown Butter and White Chocolate Ganache
Equipment you may need
- 6 tbsp (114 g) salted butter
- 10 oz (454 g) mini marshmallows
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 5 cups (160 g) crispy rice cereal
- ⅔ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips - plus more for topping
- Add marshmallows to a large microwave-safe bowl, then remove about a cup to set aside for later.10 oz mini marshmallows
- Add butter and heat on high for 1 minute and stir. Then heat in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until butter is melted. Add vanilla, stir until smooth and let cool slightly.6 tbsp salted butter, ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Add reserved marshmallows, then add cereal to bowl and stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until cereal is well-coated.5 cups crispy rice cereal
- Fold in mini chocolate chips until evenly distributed, mixing gently and quickly to avoid melting the chocolate chips. Transfer mixture to a buttered 9 x 9 pan and use a buttered spatula (or a layer of plastic wrap and your hands) to press down tightly. Let cool completely before cutting into bars.⅔ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
PIN this chocolate chip Rice Krispie treats recipe for later!
Last Updated on February 14, 2023 by Chenée Lewis
I never would have thought to put chocolate chips in them. such a great idea!
Thank you! I love them this way!
Perfect summer treat! And the mini chocolate chips add just the right amount of chocolate.
I love no-bake treats in the summer! Thanks!
It's funny how recipes vary from country to country. Here in Scotland our rice crispy treats are made with chocolate and raisins but never marshmallows. These look very good though.
Oh that sounds delicious too!
This is such fun to make with the kids and so easy too. Love the addition of the chocolate chips.
Thank you so much!
I made these for the children for a small family gathering, but have to admit, I ate almost all of them myself before everyone arrived! They are dangerously addictive!
I dont blame you! They're SO good!
confusing, if u do stovetop, it says u can jump back to step 4 above, if you DO do that then u would never put the vanilla in?
Thanks for pointing that out - it should say to add in the reserved marshmallows and vanilla. I'll correct that
These chocolate chip Rice Krispie treats are so amazing! Mid kids made them, and I kind of wished they had made another batch. Have a great day.
Thank you! So glad you and the kids enjoyed!
Simple, easy, and totally delicious! The marshmallow ratio is excellent and those mini chocolate chips are just the best! These are fun to make with kids!
Thank you! Glad you all liked them!
Rice Krispie treats are my all time favorite treat and adding chocolate chips only make them better. This is a new treat that will be made at my house often. The only problem is they need a warning label because they are highly addictive LOL.
Thank you! They're so addictive!
my kids loved this treat and I made it in bulk sot hey can enjoy all week long. Came out really good and was so easy to make them.
So glad they were a hit with the kids!
I love these! They are definitely a hit in my house. So easy to make as well!
Thank you! They're a favorite over here too!
Whoa! These look incredible! I can't believe they take just 10 minures to make! Perfect for us!
Yes! They're so easy!
Rice Krispie bars are the best! These would be fun to add red chocolate chips for Valentine's Day! Thanks for the share!
What a fun idea!
Amy Liu Dong
Such a delicious and easy treat to make for the kids. Yum!
Glad you liked them! They're always a hit over here!
Best for sweet tooth cravings. So easy and quick and yet so yum. Best for my snack box too.
I agree completely!
These treats were absolutely delicious and the chocolate chips in these are a game-changer! I'll be making these all the time, thanks for the recipe!
Yes the chocolate chips make all the difference! Thanks!
Thank you so much for sharing this amazing rice krispie treats with chocolate chips recipe! Will surely have this again! It's really easy to make and it tasted so delicious! Highly recommended!
So glad you enjoyed them!