Stovetop or microwave peanut butter rice krispie treats recipe that is so good! Those good old fashioned peanut butter rice krispie treats you remember! And if you love these gooey peanut butter rice krispie treats, you've gotta try my Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies, my Peanut Buster Parfait Ice Cream Pie, or my Vegan Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies!
*This post contains affiliate links — as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure for details*.
Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
For me, rice krispie treats are the ultimate nostalgic snack! I've made a recipe for fancy rice krispie treats with white chocolate ganache and brown butter, but sometimes you're just in the mood for a classic childhood snack, you know? And nothing is more classic than this rice krispie treats recipe! They're so easy to make, and full of gooey peanut butter flavor!
How to make peanut butter rice krispie treats
This recipe is a simplification of my fancy rice krispie treats recipe, so we're using similar ingredient amounts, but these gooey peanut butter rice krispie treats are even easier to make! All you'll need to do is heat your butter, peanut butter, and marshmallows, and stir in your cereal. Once it's all mixed up, just press it into a greased pan and let it cool!
Can I microwave peanut butter rice krispie treats?
Yes you can! I actually make this rice krispie treats recipe in the microwave most of the time when i make it! It's so easy! But if you prefer to use the stovetop, I include instructions in the recipe card below for that too!
- salted butter - I love the buttery flavor salted butter adds to these rice krispie treats! If you only have unsalted, just add in a couple pinches of salt.
- peanut butter - regular creamy peanut butter works fine here -- I haven't tried this recipe with crunchy peanut butter, but if you have, let me know how it worked out! As you see in the photos, I also melted a little peanut butter to drizzle on top for a burst of extra peanut butter flavor!
- marshmallows - I use a 16-ounce bag of mini marshmallows for this recipe. If you can't find mini marshmallows, regular-sized marshmallows will do just fine.
- crispy rice cereal - I usually measure mine out by weight, but you can also just measure out 10 cups worth.
This super easy recipe doesn't require any special tools! You'll just need a 9x13 pan (or a slightly smaller pan if you want really thick treats!) -- I like this one because it comes with a lid to store your treats for later! You'll also need a bowl or saucepan to heat everything in and a wooden spoon to stir with!
Tips and F.A.Q.
If you aren't a marshmallow fan, you can swap out the marshmallows in these rice krispie treats for a sweetener like honey or maple syrup. They won't have the sticky consistency that marshmallows provide, but they'll be so delicious!
If your rice krispies are too hard, you can pop a slice of bread in the container with them to allow them to absorb some of that moisture. Or you can just place one in the microwave for a few seconds before eating to soften it up!
My favorite trick when pressing down on your rice krispie treats is to use a layer of plastic wrap and then press down with my hands. It's easier than a spatula and the plastic wrap keeps the gooey mixture from sticking to your hands!
You'll definitely want to let them cool completely. You can even place them in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes just to make sure they're fully cooled. Use a sharp knife coated in butter or sprayed with cooking spray to make sure the gooey marshmallow parts don't stick.
There's actually no need to refrigerate these rice krispie treats! You can keep them in an airtight container for up to 3 days. But I doubt they'll last that long!
Yes you can! You can freeze them in an airtight container or heavy duty freezer bag for up to six weeks. Just thaw at room temperature, and enjoy!
More Peanut Butter Recipes You'll Love
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies
- Peanut Noodle Salad
- Vegan Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies with Banana and Cacao
- Peanut Buster Parfait Ice Cream Pie
Equipment you may need
- Add peanut butter, marshmallows, and butter to a large microwave-safe bowl.½ cup salted butter, ⅔ cup creamy peanut butter, 16 oz mini marshmallows
- Heat on high for 1 minute and stir. Then heat in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until butter is melted. Stir until smooth.
- Add cereal to bowl an stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until cereal is well-coated.10 cups crispy rice cereal
- Transfer mixture to a buttered 9 x 13 pan and use a buttered spatula (or a layer of plastic wrap and your hands) to press down tightly. Let cool completely before cutting into bars.
Pin these gooey peanut butter Rice Krispie treats for later!
Last Updated on January 25, 2022 by Chenée Lewis