Stovetop or microwave peanut butter rice krispie treats recipe that is so good! Those good old fashioned peanut butter rice krispie treats you remember! And if you love these gooey peanut butter rice krispie treats, you've gotta try my Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies, my Peanut Buster Parfait Ice Cream Pie, or my Vegan Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies!
*This post contains affiliate links — as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure for details*.
Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
For me, rice krispie treats are the ultimate nostalgic snack! I've made a recipe for fancy rice krispie treats with white chocolate ganache and brown butter, but sometimes you're just in the mood for a classic childhood snack, you know? And nothing is more classic than this rice krispie treats recipe! They're so easy to make, and full of gooey peanut butter flavor!
How to make peanut butter rice krispie treats
This recipe is a simplification of my fancy rice krispie treats recipe, so we're using similar ingredient amounts, but these gooey peanut butter rice krispie treats are even easier to make! All you'll need to do is heat your butter, peanut butter, and marshmallows, and stir in your cereal. Once it's all mixed up, just press it into a greased pan and let it cool!
Can I microwave peanut butter rice krispie treats?
Yes you can! I actually make this rice krispie treats recipe in the microwave most of the time when i make it! It's so easy! But if you prefer to use the stovetop, I include instructions in the recipe card below for that too!
- salted butter - I love the buttery flavor salted butter adds to these rice krispie treats! If you only have unsalted, just add in a couple pinches of salt.
- peanut butter - regular creamy peanut butter works fine here -- I haven't tried this recipe with crunchy peanut butter, but if you have, let me know how it worked out! As you see in the photos, I also melted a little peanut butter to drizzle on top for a burst of extra peanut butter flavor!
- marshmallows - I use a 16-ounce bag of mini marshmallows for this recipe. If you can't find mini marshmallows, regular-sized marshmallows will do just fine.
- crispy rice cereal - I usually measure mine out by weight, but you can also just measure out 10 cups worth.
This super easy recipe doesn't require any special tools! You'll just need a 9x13 pan (or a slightly smaller pan if you want really thick treats!) -- I like this one because it comes with a lid to store your treats for later! You'll also need a bowl or saucepan to heat everything in and a wooden spoon to stir with!
Tips and F.A.Q.
If you aren't a marshmallow fan, you can swap out the marshmallows in these rice krispie treats for a sweetener like honey or maple syrup. They won't have the sticky consistency that marshmallows provide, but they'll be so delicious!
If your rice krispies are too hard, you can pop a slice of bread in the container with them to allow them to absorb some of that moisture. Or you can just place one in the microwave for a few seconds before eating to soften it up!
My favorite trick when pressing down on your rice krispie treats is to use a layer of plastic wrap and then press down with my hands. It's easier than a spatula and the plastic wrap keeps the gooey mixture from sticking to your hands!
You'll definitely want to let them cool completely. You can even place them in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes just to make sure they're fully cooled. Use a sharp knife coated in butter or sprayed with cooking spray to make sure the gooey marshmallow parts don't stick.
There's actually no need to refrigerate these rice krispie treats! You can keep them in an airtight container for up to 3 days. But I doubt they'll last that long!
Yes you can! You can freeze them in an airtight container or heavy duty freezer bag for up to six weeks. Just thaw at room temperature, and enjoy!
You've got to try my Rice Krispie Treats with Chocolate Chips for little bits of chocolatey goodness, and my M&M Rice Krispie Treats take that chocolate flavor to the next level!
More Peanut Butter Recipes You'll Love
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies
- Peanut Noodle Salad
- Vegan Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies with Banana and Cacao
- Peanut Buster Parfait Ice Cream Pie
Equipment you may need
- ½ cup (114 g) salted butter - one stick
- 16 oz (454 g) mini marshmallows - or regular marshmallows
- ⅔ cup (172 g) creamy peanut butter
- 10 cups (270 g) crispy rice cereal - about ¾ of a 12-oz box
- melted peanut butter - for drizzling (optional)
- Add peanut butter, marshmallows, and butter to a large microwave-safe bowl.½ cup salted butter, ⅔ cup creamy peanut butter, 16 oz mini marshmallows
- Heat on high for 1 minute and stir. Then heat in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until butter is melted. Stir until smooth.
- Add cereal to bowl an stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until cereal is well-coated.10 cups crispy rice cereal
- Transfer mixture to a buttered 9 x 13 pan and use a buttered spatula (or a layer of plastic wrap and your hands) to press down tightly. Let cool completely before cutting into bars.
Pin these gooey peanut butter Rice Krispie treats for later!
Last Updated on February 14, 2023 by Chenée Lewis
These are the best peanut butter rice crispies I've ever made. Perfect peanut butter flavor and super easy!
Thank you!! I love the sweet and salty goodness of the peanut butter!
I love rice krispie treats as I used to eat them when I was a kid. This recipe brought back so many good memories and they tasted delicious.
Thank you so much!
Peanut butter combined with a rice crispy treat is genius! Thanks for my new favorite sweet treats.
You're so welcome!! Glad you enjoyed them!
Such a yummy mix of sweet and salty. I love rice crispy treats but i would've never thought peanut butter worked with them. But the flavors are perfect for each other.
I agree completely! 😋
These peanut butter rice krispie treats were soooo easy to make and were absolutely delicious. I'll be keeping this recipe on close hold!
So glad you liked them! Thanks!
This recipe brings me back to my childhood days, except it is even better because of the addition of peanut butter! I made this with my niece today and we had so much fun making them. Your instructions were easy to follow and the rice krispie treats came out perfect!
So glad you both liked them!
These rice krispie treats are something out of a fairy tale because they are unbelievably delicious!! I've made this recipe twice so far and I will be making it many more times to come!
So glad to hear that! I love these too!!
I HATE referring to food as sexy, but when I tell you these peanut butter rice krispie treats had me feeling some type of way, I'm not playing. They are so perfect and so easy to make.
Hahaha! I have to agree!
These were a amazing! I used vegan butter and marshmallows and the recipe didn't miss a beat. Loved the addition of the peanut butter. Perfect treat to make with the kids and I will definitely be making these again.
So glad you liked them with the substitutions!
So simple and easy to make, but so delicious! Just my kind of recipe!
Thanks! It's always better to keep it simple!
My family loved this recipe and they keep asking for more! I'll memorize this recipe so I could make it with ease.
That's a great idea because they're always a hit!
OMG!!! Yum, I LOVE peanut butter rice krispies!! I can not wait to try these, I think I am going to try them this weekend.
I hope you love them!
This is the perfect sweet snack for my kids when they come home from school! That peanut butter drizzle over the rice krispies will be a sure hit with my kids!
I'm sure they'll love them! 🙂
Baked these with my daughter the other day for my wife to take to a work picnic and lets just say not all of them made it to the picnic - SO GOOD!
Haha that's how it goes over here too! Glad you enjoyed!