Last Updated on December 5, 2021 by Chenée Lewis
Air fryer hash browns are so easy! If you'd like to know how to make hash browns in the air fryer, you're in the right place. It's so simple and they come out crispy and delicious!
*This post contains affiliate links — as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure for details*.
Can you make hash browns in an air fryer?
So if you've got an air fryer, chances are that every other day you look at a food item in your kitchen and wonder, "can I throw this in my air fryer?" And I'm here to tell you that usually the answer is yes! And that's definitely the case with these hash browns. Your air fryer is the perfect tool to make crispy, perfect hash brown potatoes without too much fuss!
Plus, using your air fryer allows you to save stove and oven space for other dishes, and it's so easy! I love making air fryer side dishes because it takes the effort and guesswork out of it! So this recipe is perfect to make your next brunch way easier!
- frozen hash browns - You can use all or part of a bag of frozen shredded hash browns. If you like, you can also make air fryer hash browns with diced frozen potatoes, also known as southern style hash browns. I'll include that method below in the recipe card.
- extra-virgin olive oil - you can toss your frozen potatoes in olive oil, or use an olive oil spray. I like the flavor that olive oil adds, but you can also use a more neutral vegetable oil like canola oil.
- salt & pepper - add seasoning to taste. You can also use a seasoning blend like seasoned salt.
You'll definitely need an air fryer for this recipe! I'd recommend one with lots of basket space like this one, so that you can fit more of your hash browns in at once and keep them in a thin layer. Other than that, you'll just need a mixing bowl to toss your hash browns in seasoning and olive oil! Here are a few tools I used:
Southern Style Hash Browns in Air Fryer
To make this recipe with diced frozen potatoes, you'll follow largely the same method as with shredded hash browns, but you'll cook them a bit longer, for 25-30 minutes instead of 15-20. It's so easy, and they turn out perfectly with crispy edges!
Reheat Hash Browns in Air Fryer
It's so easy to reheat hash brown potatoes in your air fryer to get them nice and crispy! Just preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees, then reheat your potatoes for 3-5 minutes or until heated through.
Tips and F.A.Q.
Yes! This recipe is for shredded hash browns, and you can check out the recipe card below to see how to make southern style hash browns in the air fryer. It's my new favorite way to make hash browns, and definitely one of the best brunch recipes!
This method of making hash browns in the air fryer is absolutely the best way to get crispy, perfectly cooked hash browns! If you want them even crispier, I would suggest increasing the temperature from 370 to 390 -- just check on your hash browns a little sooner to make sure they don't burn.
Yes, you can -- I don't think you'd need foil for this recipe, but if you do use it, just line the bottom of your air fryer basket with a layer of foil that's smaller than the length and width of the basket. Then be sure to flip your hash browns a few times during cooking. You may also need to add a little time to the cook time.
To make this recipe, set your air fryer to 370 degrees Fahrenheit. You can also turn it up a little during cooking for a crisper result! Luckily, air fryer recipes like this one are pretty forgiving, and they turn out crispy and flavorful without much fuss!
More Savory Recipes You'll Love
- Boursin Pasta – Tiktok Viral Recipe
- Havarti Grilled Cheese with Bacon and Caramelized Onion
- Fried Potatoes and Onions Recipe
- Southern Baked Mac and Cheese
- Paleo Chicken Thigh Recipe with Roasted Vegetables
- In a large bowl, toss frozen hash browns with salt and pepper, or your chosen seasoning.30 oz frozen shredded hash browns, salt and pepper to taste
- Add olive oil and toss to coat, or alternatively spray with olive oil spray.1-2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Add to air fryer basket in a thin, even layer (if necessary, cook in batches).
- Set air fryer to 370°F and cook for 7 minutes. Toss or flip hash browns in basket and continue cooking another 7-10 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
Pin these air fryer hash browns for later!