Have you had enough apple recipes so far this year? If you love apples like I do, you'll LOVE this recipe! These crispy apple chips are an amazingly easy, sweet treat that can be a healthy snack all year long! You might have had store-bought apples chips before, but now you're going to learn to make apple chips yourself, right at home in your oven!
This apple chips recipe is so simple -- it's only 3 ingredients -- and it has NO added sugar! Baking apple chips in the oven works great for a light, healthy dessert, a fun afternoon snack, or even part of a healthy breakfast! You won't need any special equipment to bake them (although I do recommend a food slicer or mandoline to slice the apples). They're such an easy treat and only require ONE apple -- if you're looking for a fun, healthy, plant-based snack, you'll love these apples chips! Give them a try!
This apple chips recipe only requires three ingredients, and NO added sugar:
- apple - I used Fuji apples in this recipe, but you're free to try any apple you like! Sweet apples like red delicious, or tart apples like McIntosh, or great baking apples like HoneyCrisp or Gala.
- cooking spray - Any vegetable oil cooking spray is great!
- cinnamon - you can also also use apple pie spice. The idea is to give your apples a little fun spice without adding sugar!
The main tool I'd recommend for these apples chips is a mandoline slicer -- I used this one, which I love because it has lots of different blades and comes with a safety glove! Here are a few other tools you might like:
Tips and F.A.Q.
Since I'm no nutritionist, I can't say for sure if these apple chips are right for your dietary needs, but I think it's safe to say that these are a wholesome, vegan and gluten-free snack with no added sweetener! Definitely something I'd consider to be a great option for lots of diets.
There might be a few reasons that your apple chips turned out soft and mushy. First of all, the temperature on your oven might be slightly off. I'd recommend grabbing an oven thermometer to make sure it's accurate. Also, you might need to cut your apples a little more thinly -- I use this mandoline slicer to get those nice thin slices. Finally, make sure you're cooking your apples long enough -- the edges of the slices should be curled when they're ready.
As I mentioned, this slicer is my tool of choice! You can also use a knife to carefully cut thin slices -- they may not be quite as thin as with the mandoline, but you can add a bit of baking time to account for that.
I typically use Fuji, Gala, or Golden Delicious for this recipe, but any of your favorite apple varieties will be great!
If you're looking for another healthy, vegan way to use your fresh fall fruit, try my Instant Pot Pear Applesauce. It's so easy to make in the pressure cooker OR slow cooker, and it combines the fall goodness of apples, pears, fall spices, and vanilla, with NO added sugar!
But if you're in the mood for a more decadent apple dessert, you can't go wrong with my Deep Dish Caramel Apple Pie. It's an instant fall and holiday classic, perfect for your family table! It's packed high with richly spiced apples in my flaky all-butter pie crust. Guaranteed to be a new holiday tradition!
- Preheat oven to 230°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Slice apple through the center using a mandoline slicer on 2 mm setting. If you're slicing it by hand, slice as thinly as you can.1 medium apple
- Evenly lay apple slices in a single layer on lined baking sheet and spray on both sides with cooking spray. Sprinkle slices with cinnamon.cooking spray, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes, or until apples are lightly golden and edges of slices are curled (thicker slices will require more time). Flip slices halfway through baking.
- Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack or on paper towels. Apple chips should crisp up after a few minutes. Serve immediately after cooling, or store in an airtight container.
PIN this baked apple chips recipe for later!
Last Updated on August 10, 2022 by Chenée Lewis