Mini Chocolate Cake
*This post contains affiliate links — please see my disclosure for details*.
If you’re craving chocolate, this mini chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream is for you! It’s got all the chocolatey goodness you want, but in a smaller size, perfect for two, or for one die-hard chocolate lover.
You might recognize some of this recipe from my mini vanilla cake recipe — this is the chocolate version for all you chocolate fans! I personally prefer vanilla, but sometimes you just NEED chocolate! And this cake is for those times. You’ll follow the same general process as the mini vanilla cake, with just a couple extra ingredients.
This cake is the perfect size. Especially now while we’re all avoiding large gatherings, unless you want tons of leftovers you need a small batch cake recipe! Depending on how large you cut the slices, it yields 4-6 servings, which is plenty for a group of up to three! You can enjoy cake while watching portion sizes, limiting sugar intake, and avoiding too many leftovers!
6-inch Cake Pan
To make this cute little cake, you’ll need a 6-inch round cake pan. I use this Wilton one (affiliate link). You can also try making it in a small loaf pan, a small cast-iron skillet, or as a few cupcakes. If you try that, let me know in the comments below how it works for you!
This mini chocolate cake recipe is so easy. You just need a few pantry staples and one key ingredient!
- an egg
- pure vanilla extract
- vegetable oil
- all-purpose flour
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- baking powder
- baking soda
- espresso powder
- hot water
For the chocolate buttercream frosting, you just need to gather
- salted butter
- powdered sugar
- cocoa powder
- heavy cream
- pure vanilla extract
And then you’re ready to put together this lovely little chocolate cake!
This is a ONE-BOWL RECIPE!! To make the cake batter, you only need a bowl and a whisk (and I guess some way to heat up your water). It’s so simple and quick, and makes such a delicious mini chocolate cake. Here’s how to make it:
- Combine your eggs, vanilla extract, and sugar in a bowl. Whisk them together so they’re smooth.
- Whisk in your oil and buttermilk.
- Sift in your dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, espresso powder, and salt. Gently whisk until just barely combined.
- Stir in the hot water — I just warm mine up for about 45 seconds in the microwave. This helps to bring out the flavor and fudginess of the cocoa powder.
- Then you’re ready to bake!
The chocolate buttercream frosting is even easier!
- Just beat your butter with a hand mixer to get it fluffy.
- Mix in your powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Mix in your heavy cream until the frosting is thick and fluffy.
That’s it! This is the perfect antidote to your chocolate craving, and it couldn’t be easier.
Other than my mini vanilla cake, of course, there are a few cake recipes that I’ve shared that you might like just as much as this one! For a delicious strawberry treat, check out my fresh strawberry cake — it’s just as easy as this mini chocolate cake, but it’s got the boost of fresh, juicy strawberries to complement its crunchy sugar topping. You should also definitely check out my lavender Earl Grey cake — it’s so easy and the Earl Grey tea flavor works so well with the honey-lemon glaze! Yum!
But if you’re reading this, you’re probably only really looking for one thing — CHOCOLATE. So these triple chocolate pecan brownies are just what the doctor ordered. You can also check out my white chocolate brownie mix cookies, which are another super easy recipe chock-full of white chocolate chunks, roasted pistachios, and dried cherries. A delicious way to get that chocolate fix!
Equipment you may need
- baking spray
- 1 large egg – room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup buttermilk – room temperature
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour – (86g)
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder – 17g
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp espresso powder
- ¼ cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 6-inch cake pan with baking spray (the kind with flour) and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, vanilla, and sugar until well combined and thickened.
- Whisk in oil, followed by buttermilk, whisking until smooth after each addition until smooth.
- Sift in flour, cocoa, baking powder, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir into batter until just combined.
- Stir hot water into batter.
- Pour into cake pan. Drop cake in pan from 3 inches onto counter
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick entered into the cake comes out clean.
Prepare Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- In a bowl, cream butter with a hand mixer for 1 minute until it’s light and fluffy.
- Gradually add in powdered sugar, followed by vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Add milk a little at a time and beat until you have the desired consistency. Spread over cooled cake.
Pin this recipe for later!