*This post contains affiliate links — please see my disclosure for details*.
Last Updated on May 6, 2020 by Chenée Lewis
It’s finally spring! Even though this year is definitely different, it’s still great to celebrate the weather getting warmer. You may be working outside the home, or have a busy work-from-home schedule, or maybe you have lots of time on your hands. Either way, this fresh strawberry cake recipe is a perfect way to celebrate springtime now that strawberry season is just about here!
Baking with Berries
Berries are so amazing to bake with, especially for springtime! This cake calls for fresh strawberries, which are just about to be in season here in Chicago, but you might also love baking with frozen berries, like with these Raspberry White Chocolate Blondies. Here, the berries are filled throughout the cake and also form a lovely topping! Plus, the fresh strawberries are juicy and keep the cake moist, and the sugar on top makes a light, crunchy crust. If you like strawberries, you will LOVE this cake!
Even if you don’t have fresh strawberries, I’m sure this cake would also be fantastic with blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries! If you do substitute a different kind of berry, let me know in the comments below! I’d love to hear about your variations!
Fresh strawberry cake, step by step
Check out this video for a complete step-by-step. Basically, if you can use a hand mixer and a spatula, you can make this cake! You’ll also need a couple bowls, and a grater for your lemon zest, but other than that it’s SO simple and easy:
- Cream together butter and sugar
- Mix in eggs, lemon zest, vanilla, and buttermilk
- Fold in flour, baking powder, and salt
- Fold in strawberries
- Spread into pan, top with more strawberries and sugar, and BAKE!
Easy as that! You got this!
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter – softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar – divided
- 2 large eggs – room temperature
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour – 192g
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ cups fresh strawberries – hulled and halved, divided
- Powdered sugar – for dusting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour an 8-inch round cake pan and line with parchment paper.
- Remove 2 tbsps from the sugar and reserve for later.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and remaining sugar for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs one at a time, followed by lemon zest, vanilla, and buttermilk and mix well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Gently fold into wet ingredients with a rubber spatula until just barely combined.
- Fold in two-thirds of strawberries, reserving other third.
- Pour the batter into prepared cake pan and smooth. Top with reserved strawberries, and then sprinkle with reserved sugar.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for 30 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust cooled cake with powdered sugar, if desired.
If you like this Fresh Strawberry Cake, I definitely recommend my Orange Rosemary Olive Oil Cake. It’s a soft, moist cake that has fantastic flavors and a subtle sweetness. Happy baking!