Last Updated on April 5, 2021 by Chenée Lewis
A few months ago, I shared a Reader Survey to get some ideas of what types of recipes you'd like to see as we get into 2021, and one of the most common responses was for more low carb and Keto friendly recipes! So you will definitely see more low carb recipes from me this year, starting with this Keto chocolate mousse! Just in time for Valentine's Day, this fluffy, velvety chocolate mousse is keto friendly with only 6 grams net carbs per serving! And it's a small-batch recipe that yields two servings, so it's perfect for an at-home date night -- or just double the recipe to serve a bigger crowd!
How do you make chocolate mousse from scratch?
Alas, I must inform you that this keto chocolate mousse is not made in the traditional French way: combining melted chocolate, egg yolks, whipped egg whites, and whipped heavy cream. This eggless chocolate mousse uses cream cheese in a way similar to my Pumpkin Mousse Pie -- to enrich the mixture and give it structure, as well as added flavor. I find that it's an easier, more accessible way to achieve a similar texture, and a bit of cheesecake flavor never hurts! Plus, it's great for anyone with egg allergies! So let's take a look at the ingredients you'll need for this keto chocolate mousse:
- heavy cream - we'll divide our heavy cream, heating ¼ cup of it to melt with the chocolate, and whipping up the other ½ cup to fold in at the end. So you'll need to keep that remaining half cup nice and cold for the fluffiest whipped cream!
- unsweetened chocolate - definitely look for a good quality unsweetened baking chocolate. I like Ghirardelli and Baker's, but feel free to use whatever is your favorite!
- Swerve granulated sweetener - I prefer using Swerve because it has the most natural sugar-like flavor of any zero-calorie sweetener I've tried. But feel free to use stevia, monkfruit, or any other sweetener you prefer!
- vanilla - make sure you're using a good-quality pure vanilla extract. Or better yet, check out my post on how to make vanilla extract at home with just 2 ingredients!
- pinch of salt - this helps to bring out the depth of flavor in the chocolate and vanilla in this keto chocolate mousse!
- cream cheese - so important for this easy keto chocolate mouse recipe! It's got to be soft, so you can take it out of the fridge and set it at room temperature for an hour or so. Or you can remove it from the foil and microwave it for 8-10 seconds to soften it quickly!
Tips and F.A.Q.
Regular chocolate mousse can have up to 32 net carbs per serving, but because this keto chocolate mousse is made with unsweetened chocolate and Swerve, it's only got 6 net carbs for each generous serving!
In this keto chocolate mousse, we're using unsweetened chocolate, which has 1 gram of carbs and zero grams of sugar per serving. Because it has no sweetener added, it's much more keto-friendly than other types of chocolate. We also opted for unsweetened chocolate to allow you to customize the amount of sweetener in this keto chocolate mousse recipe to your liking. Since the chocolate is such a major flavor in this recipe, it's important to get a high-quality unsweetened chocolate for baking. I used Baker's Unsweetened Baking Chocolate.
The sweetener we're using is Swerve, a natural sweetener that shows up on labels as u0022sugaru0022 but is calorie-free. It has no impact on blood sugar, and is completely keto-friendly! If you can't get your hands on Swerve, feel free to use stevia, monkfruit, or any other keto-friendly sweetener that you love!
You have lots of options! My suggestion would be with a low-carb whipped cream (recipe included below) and some shaved unsweetened chocolate and raspberries! Then just pipe or spoon your keto chocolate mousse into some small dessert dishes or ramekins. I served mine in a pair of coupe glasses for an extra touch of elegance!
Yes! Just use a sugar-free sweetener like Confectioner's Swerve instead of adding sugar!
- Separate out 2 tablespoon of heavy cream and place the remaining ½ cup in the refrigerator to chill.
- Place chopped chocolate into a mixing bowl. Heat 2 tablespoon heavy cream in microwave for about 30 seconds or until hot, but not boiling. Pour over chocolate and whisk to melt.
- Stir in Swerve, vanilla, and a pinch of salt and whisk until smooth. If necessary, heat in microwave in additional 10-second intervals until sweetener is fully melted and chocolate mixture is smooth. Chill in fridge 15 minutes.
- Beat chocolate mixture 2 minutes until smooth and lightened in color, then beat in softened cream cheese for at least another 2 minutes. Mixture should be creamy and fluffy.
- In a chilled, medium bowl, using a chilled whisk mixer attachment, beat remaining chilled heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold or whisk whipped cream into whipped chocolate mixture until well combined.
- Optional Keto Whipped Cream Topping: Combine chilled heavy cream, vanilla, and Confectioner's Swerve in a chilled bowl and beat on high speed with a chilled whisk attachment until soft peaks form.
- Pipe or spoon mousse into small serving bowls or ramekins and serve immediately or chill until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, top with whipped cream, chocolate shavings, and raspberries, if desired.
PIN this keto chocolate mousse recipe for later!