Cool Whip turtle pie recipe - no bake and so good! This salted caramel turtle pie recipe is incredibly easy and perfect for a celebration! Try this pecan turtle pie with condensed milk dulce de leche or with store bought caramel sauce, or make your own sauce!
*This post contains affiliate links — as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure for details*.
Cool Whip Turtle Pie Recipe
If you've had my Philadelphia No Bake Cheesecake with Cool Whip, you'll be familiar with this super easy method of making a cream cheese pie! It uses Cool Whip (or any store-bought whipped topping will do) and whipped cream cheese for the easiest cheesecake filling you've ever seen!
Turtle Pie Recipe - Easy, No Bake
If you're a fan of the Edwards Turtle Pie, this recipe is sure to be one of your favorite desserts! It's got a lusciously fluffy caramel cheesecake filling and a caramel-chocolate-pecan topping, all piled high in a buttery Oreo crust!
Best of all, there's no baking or cooking required to make this no bake pie, and the filling comes together in just a few minutes.
Why is it called turtle pie?
The name "turtle pie" is believed to have originated from the resemblance of the pecans or nuts on top of the pie to the shape and coloration of a turtle's shell.
The combination of caramel, crunchy pecans, and chocolate also bears some resemblance to traditional turtle candies, which are made by roasting pecans or other nuts and then coating them with caramel and chocolate. This recipe takes those flavors and transforms them into creamy pie form!
What is turtle pie made of?
Check the recipe card below for the detailed measurements, but here are the basic turtle pie ingredients you'll need to make this Cool Whip turtle pie recipe:
- whipped cream cheese - This is the secret to making this turtle pie recipe easy and quick! Whipped cream cheese gives us a fluffy filling without waiting for cream cheese to soften, and no need for an electric mixer!
- whipped topping - another shortcut to making this recipe is Cool Whip! Turtle pie comes together so easily with a tub of whipped topping. I like to use Cool Whip Extra Creamy.
- lemon juice - this is optional, but to help firm up the filling, you can add bit of lemon juice to your mixture.
- vanilla - it should be the good stuff -- pure vanilla extract. I like to make my own!
- caramel sauce or dulce de leche - you can use storebought caramel sauce or you can make this turtle pie with condensed milk dulce de leche! Whatever your preference is.
- Oreo cookies - what we'll use to make our Oreo cookie crust! You can use crushed Oreo cookies or buy a pre-made chocolate cookie crust!
- salted butter - a little melted butter will help bring the crust together and add buttery flavor!
- chocolate sauce - I like to use a little chocolate syrup to drizzle on top of the pie or on top of individual pieces! I used Hershey's syrup.
- roasted pecan halves - the signature turtle flavor and texture comes from buttery, toasted pecans! I like to purchase store-bought roasted pecans, but you can also toast raw pecans yourself. See instructions below!
- whipped cream - use store-bought canned whipped cream, or grab some heavy cream and powdered sugar to make your own using the recipe from my Lemon Icebox Pie recipe.
To make this no bake turtle pie recipe, you'll need a pie plate, a large mixing bowl, a whisk or electric mixer for thorough mixing, measuring cups and spoons for precise measurements.
If you're making your chocolate pie crust from crushed Oreos, you'll want a food processor or rolling pin to crush the crust ingredients. And that's all you'll need for this easy turtle pie recipe!
The creamy caramel filling for this turtle pie recipe is easy and so simple to make!
Combine caramel sauce and whipped cream cheese until smooth.
Gently add lemon and whipped topping to the cream cheese mixture and fold until just combined.
Spread into your Oreo crust, cover, and chill overnight.
Top chilled pie with whipped cream and roasted pecans, and drizzle with caramel and chocolate sauce.
Hint: You can drizzle your caramel and chocolate sauce on the whole pie before cutting, or you can add it to each individual piece!
Salted Caramel Turtle Pie or Turtle Pie with Condensed Milk
To make this turtle pie recipe super easy, you can use a store-bought salted caramel sauce. But you can also make this turtle pie with condensed milk dulce de leche! Try it with store-bought dulce de leche, or make your own with condensed milk!
To make your own dulce de leche, just cover a can of sweetened condensed milk in a saucepan with 1-2 inches of water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 2 ½ hours, adding additional water to keep the level consistent throughout. Let cool completely, then open and stir.
Turtle Pie Recipe Variations
So, besides the classic one with the chocolate crust, caramel filling, nuts, and whipped cream or chocolate shavings, there are some delicious twists you can try to change up this easy recipe.
- First up, we have the Peanut Butter Turtle Pie. It's like the classic version, but with a layer of peanut butter added in. Imagine that creamy, nutty goodness blending with the caramel and chocolate. Mouthwatering!
- Then we have the White Chocolate Turtle Pie. Instead of regular chocolate, this one uses white chocolate in the crust or filling, or even both. It gives the pie a smooth and slightly sweeter flavor. Yum!
- For those who like a boozy kick, there's the Bourbon Turtle Pie. Just a splash of bourbon in the caramel filling or mixed into the caramel sauce adds a warm and rich flavor. It's like a party in your mouth!
- And finally, we have the Raspberry Turtle Pie. This one brings in some fruity goodness. Fresh raspberries or raspberry jam are added to the filling or as a layer between the caramel and chocolate. The tanginess of the raspberries pairs perfectly with the sweet caramel and chocolate.
So, go ahead and get creative with these turtle pie variations. Make it your own and enjoy the deliciousness!
Alright, let's talk about storing your turtle pie! If you've got any leftovers (lucky you!), you'll want to keep them nice and fresh. Here's the deal: pop that pie into an airtight container or cover it tightly with some plastic wrap. Then, stash it in the fridge. The cool temperature will help it stay delicious for a couple of days.
But hey, if you want to make it last longer, you can even freeze it! Just wrap it well with plastic wrap and then foil, and it should hold up in the freezer for a few weeks. Whenever you're ready for another slice of turtle pie goodness, just thaw it in the fridge overnight or at room temperature.
Frequently Asked Questions
The exact origin of turtle pie is unclear, but it is believed to have originated in the United States. It has become a popular dessert, especially in regions known for their pecan production, such as the Southern United States. Over time, various versions and variations have emerged, each adding their own unique twist to this indulgent treat.
So, here's the scoop on why it's called a turtle pecan: picture a dessert with a pecan filling, caramel, and chocolate all mingling together. It's got that sweet and rich vibe that reminds you of those tasty turtle candies with caramel and chocolate. So, they just went ahead and named it turtle pecan to capture that turtle-like awesomeness. Now you know!
For the best texture for your no bake caramel cheesecake filling, make sure that you use chilled caramel sauce that has a nice thick texture. This will help your filling to set and firm up.
If you love this salted caramel turtle pie recipe, try these recipes next!
If you try this recipe, I would love it if you could leave a star review rating and comment below! It’s so wonderful hearing your feedback! And don’t forget to share your creations with me by tagging @chenee_today on Instagram!
Caramel Pie Filling
- Prepare pie crust by combining crushed Oreo cookies and melted butter until well combined and cookie crumbs are well saturated.24 Oreo cookies, 4 tablespoon salted butter
- Press crust mixture evenly into bottom and up the sides of an ungreased pie pan. Place pan in freezer while you prepare your filling.
- For filling, mix together whipped cream cheese and chilled caramel sauce until well combined.12 oz whipped cream cheese, ⅔ cup caramel sauce
- Add vanilla, and lemon (if using). Gently fold in whipped topping until mixture just comes together.½ teaspoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, 8 ounces whipped topping
- Spoon mixture into pie crust and smooth the top. Cover and chill overnight in fridge.
- Just before serving, add roasted pecans and drizzle with chocolate and caramel sauces. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, roasted pecan halves, whipped cream (optional)