Easy dairy free brownies recipe from scratch! These are the best dairy free brownies with oil and cocoa powder with healthy option as well! If you like these, you'll love my Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies, my Dairy Free Banana Bread, and my Vegan Coconut Cake Recipe!
*This post contains affiliate links — as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure for details*.
Easy Dairy Free Brownies Recipe
This dairy free brownies recipe is my new obsession! Just like my Chocolate Walnut Brownies, they're super fudgy and moist with a crackly top, and those big chocolate chunks are so gooey! I make them all the time and they're a hit with everyone! If you're a chocolate lover, this easy recipe will be one of your go-to dairy free desserts!
Dairy Free Brownies From Scratch
I actually don't add milk to most brownies other than my Condensed Milk Brownies, but my typical brownie recipes do contain dairy in the butter and chocolate chips. This fudgy brownies recipe uses vegetable oil and dairy-free chocolate chunks as an easy swap that keeps that amazing flavor and texture!
If you are a fan of brownies made from a box mix, you'll love how fun it is to make these easy dairy free brownies from scratch! They've got those chewy edges and that crinkly top that all the best fudge brownies have!
Which box brownies are dairy free?
Do store bought brownies have dairy? Actually many of them don't! Depending on the brand you buy, many store bought brownie mixes are made without milk or butter. And then the ingredients you add (oil, eggs, and water) don't add any dairy either! But if you're sensitive to dairy, definitely check the label for any traces of milk in the batter or in the chocolate chips.
Dairy Free Brownies Ingredients
You can find the full measurements and details in the recipe card below, but here are the simple ingredients you'll need to make these dairy free gooey brownies!
- vegetable oil - feel free to make these dairy free brownies with oil like olive oil, or neutral oils like canola or avocado oil!
- eggs - make sure your eggs are room temperature to help them mix well into the other ingredients and allow the brownies to bake evenly.
- vanilla extract - always grab a good-quality pure vanilla extract. Or better yet, check out my post on how to make vanilla extract at home with just 2 ingredients!
- granulated sugar & brown sugar - this combination of sugars adds the right amount of sweetness and chewy richness to these brownies! You can use either light brown sugar or dark brown sugar.
- all-purpose flour - always measure your flour by weight or by using the spoon and level method.
- unsweetened cocoa powder - natural cocoa powder is what gives these dairy free brownies their fudgy flavor and texture! I like the Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, but use whatever variety you prefer.
- espresso powder - I love how the coffee flavor of espresso powder enhances the rich chocolate flavor in these dairy-free brownies!
- salt - very important to offset the sweetness and boost flavor!
- dairy-free chocolate chips - I like using Enjoy Life Mega Chunks, but any dairy free chocolate chips you like will work! I love the dark chocolate flavor that they add to these brownies!
The main tool you'll need for these brownies is a 9x9 baking pan and parchment paper to bake them up. Otherwise, you'll just need some basic mixing tools like a mixing bowl, a whisk, and a rubber spatula!
Best Dairy Free Brownies Instructions
You can find detailed instructions below in the recipe card, but here are the basic steps to make these dairy free brownies: mix up the batter, bake, and enjoy!
Whisk together your wet ingredients: oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla, until smooth.
Sift in your dry ingredients: cocoa powder, flour, espresso powder, and salt, into the bowl and fold until just combined.
Fold in dairy-free chocolate chips or chunks.
Pour your brownie batter into your prepared pan, add extra chocolate hips on top, and bake!
Hint: for gooey brownies, be sure not to overbake! They'll continue to set up as they cool. But if you like your brownies a little more done on the edges, you can bake them until the top of the brownies looks set in the center.
Healthy Dairy Free Brownies with Oil
With some easy substitutions, you can make healthy dairy free brownies with coconut oil, coconut sugar, and egg substitutes!
- Coconut Oil - you can feel free to substitute coconut oil or avocado oil for other types of vegetable oil in this recipe.
- Sugar - you can make this recipe with unprocessed sugar by using coconut sugar or your favorite no-calorie sweetener!
- Egg Substitutes - you can use Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer or a flax egg to make vegan brownies!
Dairy Free Brownies With Cocoa Powder
These dairy-free brownies with cocoa powder are so good! First off, they've got this amazing, intense chocolate flavor that just hits the spot. It's like a burst of pure chocolate goodness in every bite. And let me tell you about the texture! They're so moist and fudgy, like biting into a heavenly chocolate cloud.
They're easy to make too. No fussing with melted chocolate, just mix in that cocoa powder, and voila! You've got yourself a batch of irresistible treats. Trust me, once you try them, you'll be hooked!
Best Dairy Free Brownie Mix
If you want brownies without the dairy but don't want to make them from scratch, the best dairy free brownie mix I've tried is Duncan Hines Fudge Brownie Mix! It contains no dairy and requires no milk to prepare it!
You can store these brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. To freeze them, let your brownies cool completely. After that, if they've already been cut into individual brownies, then wrap each one in plastic wrap and place in the freezer to freeze solid. Then once they're frozen, place them in a freezer bag for up to two months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most of the Ghirardelli brownie mixes I've seen contain chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, or chocolate syrup that all contain dairy.
You can just cut this recipe in half and bake it in a 9x5 loaf pan instead of a square pan!
Youll love my Oat Milk Pancakes if you're looking for a delicious dairy-free pancakes recipe! Or check out my Vegan Coconut Cake for a dairy-free and egg free treat! And if you love brownies, use this recipe as the base for my S'mores Brownies or my Raspberry Chocolate Brownies!
And if you're in the mood for more dairy free treats, try my Pumpkin Banana Muffins or my Vegan Olive Oil Cake with Lemon and Pistachio! They're both delicious and always a hit with vegans and anyone avoiding dairy!
If you aren't in the mood to make dairy free brownies from scratch, you've got options! When it comes to the best non-dairy brownie mix, one popular choice is the King Arthur Flour Gluten-Free Brownie Mix. Not only is it gluten-free, but it's also dairy-free, making it a winner for folks with multiple dietary needs. These brownies come out moist, rich, and packed with deep chocolate flavor.
Another solid option is Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Brownie Mix. It checks the non-dairy and gluten-free boxes, producing fudgy and indulgent brownies that'll have you drooling.
To get clean cuts on your brownies, let them cool completely and chill for a bit before cutting.
If you try this recipe, I would love it if you could leave a star review rating and comment below! It’s so wonderful hearing your feedback! And don’t forget to share your creations with me by tagging @chenee_today on Instagram!
Equipment you may need
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs - room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar - packed
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour - - measured by weight with a kitchen scale or with the spoon-and-level method
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder - optional; alternatively, you can add a tablespoon of strong coffee
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dairy free chocolate chips - or chocolate chunks; ; plus more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x9" baking pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil and sugars until combined.
- Add in eggs and vanilla extract and beat for one minute until smooth and thickened.
- Sift cocoa powder, flour, espresso powder, and salt into the bowl and fold with rubber spatula until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Add batter to prepared pan and smooth to the edges. Top with more chocolate chips.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until center is set – take out at 25 for more gooey brownies.
- Cool in pan for 20 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Last Updated on May 24, 2023 by Chenée Lewis