I woke up this morning with a craving for a brunch treat I'd had years ago: banana bread French toast! I hadn't had it since maybe 2006 at the Bongo Room here in Chicago, but I always planned to make my own at some point -- today is that day!
You are gonna love this -- it uses leftover (or store-bought!) banana bread and just a few more ingredients you probably already have on hand! But here's the best part: it's all topped with a cinnamon-maple cream cheese sauce that brings it all together SO well. This recipe couldn't be easier to make and it will definitely be a showstopper for your next breakfast or brunch!
If you've made French toast before, you'll be familiar with most of these ingredients:
- butter - to grease your griddle!
- eggs & milk - together, these create the batter we'll use to soak our banana bread and create that delicious French toast texture!
- cinnamon - a must in any French toast recipe! And even better with the flavors of banana bread.
- vanilla - another must! Pure vanilla extract complements these flavors so well.
- dark brown sugar - This is optional, but I wanted to add a little sweetness to the batter.
- banana bread - I used store-bought banana bread, but you can use leftover homemade banana bread or bakery banana bread! Or, make this banana bread French toast recipe gluten free with gluten-free banana bread!
And here's what you'll need for that delectable cinnamon cream cheese syrup! You'll just whip all these together and pour it over your warm banana bread French toast:
- cream cheese - it should be very soft -- you can heat it in the microwave for about 30 seconds to soften it, if necessary.
- maple syrup - adds the perfect flavor, sweetness, and consistency to this cream cheese syrup!
- milk - helps to thin out the cream cheese a bit.
- powdered sugar
You won't need any special equipment for this banana bread French toast recipe at all! Just a griddle or skillet to cook your French toast, and a whisk to whip up your cream cheese syrup. Another reason this is such an easy brunch treat!
If you love this recipe for banana bread French toast, you'll absolutely want to try my Banana Pecan Pancakes with Maple Brown Butter Glaze. It's a similarly rich brunch recipe that's got so much banana and pecan flavor. And the brown butter in the glaze is UNREAL.
Another favorite brunch or snack recipe of mine is my Orange Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins. They're so cute and perfect for kids or toddlers! But best of all, they're soft, moist, and bursting with orange and chocolate flavor!
Banana Bread French Toast with Cinnamon Cream Cheese SyrupPrint Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
Equipment you may need
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Syrup
- Whisk together eggs, milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla until well combined.
- Place banana bread slices in a single layer in a 9x13 pan and pour batter mixture evenly over them. Allow batter to soak into slices for 2 minutes; then, turn slices to soak the other sides for another 2 minutes.
- Heat griddle pan over medium-high heat and melt butter, spreading evenly.
- Carefully place soaked banana bread slices onto hot greased skillet. Cook about 3 minutes each side, or until deep golden brown on both sides and cooked through.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cream cheese syrup ingredients until smooth. Pour over warm banana bread french toast.
- Top with toppings of your choice and serve warm.
PIN this banana french toast recipe for later!
Last Updated on November 4, 2020 by Chenée Lewis