Easy banana bread French toast with leftover banana bread! Or make overnight banana nut bread French toast to save time in the morning! You can also read on to make vegan banana bread French toast. Either way, you can't go wrong! And for more breakfast treats, try my Oat Milk Pancakes, my White Chocolate and Raspberry Muffins, and my Mango Overnight Oats!
*This post contains affiliate links — as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure for details*.
Easy Banana Bread French Toast Recipe
This is a brunch treat that I first had years ago at the Bongo Room here in Chicago, but I always planned to make my own at some point -- today is that day! You are gonna love this -- it uses leftover (or store-bought!) banana bread and just a few more ingredients you probably already have on hand! I definitely recommend using my Dairy Free Banana Bread Recipe or my Pineapple Banana Bread Recipe!
But here's the best part: it's all topped with a cinnamon-maple cream cheese sauce that brings it all together SO well. This recipe couldn't be easier to make and it will definitely be a showstopper for your next breakfast or brunch!
How do you make French toast with banana bread?
If you've made French toast before, you'll be familiar with most of these ingredients:
- butter - to grease your griddle!
- eggs & milk - together, these create the batter we'll use to soak our banana bread and create that delicious texture!
- cinnamon - a must in any French toast recipe! And even better with the flavors of banana bread.
- vanilla - another must! Pure vanilla extract complements these flavors so well.
- dark brown sugar - This is optional, but I wanted to add a little sweetness to the batter.
- banana bread - I used store-bought banana bread, but you can use leftover homemade banana bread or bakery banana bread! Or, make this recipe gluten free with gluten-free banana bread!
And here's what you'll need for that delectable cinnamon cream cheese syrup! You'll just whip all these together and pour it over your warm French toast:
- cream cheese - it should be very soft -- you can heat it in the microwave for about 30 seconds to soften it, if necessary.
- maple syrup - adds the perfect flavor, sweetness, and consistency to this cream cheese syrup!
- milk - helps to thin out the cream cheese a bit.
- powdered sugar
You won't need any special equipment for this easy recipe at all! Just a griddle or skillet to cook your French toast, and a whisk to whip up your cream cheese syrup. Another reason this is such an easy brunch treat!
Vegan Banana Bread French Toast
Here's how you can make vegan banana bread French toast:
- Swap in soy milk or oat milk for dairy milk, and increase the amount to 1 cup.
- Be sure your brown sugar is vegan-friendly.
- Swap in 1 teaspoon of ground flaxseed instead of the eggs, and let the batter sit for 5 minutes after mixing to thicken.
- Use vegan butter or coconut oil to grease your pan, and top your French toast with maple syrup or fresh berries!
Overnight Banana Bread French Toast
Here's how to turn this recipe into an overnight French toast casserole!
- Use 8-10 slices of banana bread, add one additional egg and increase milk to 1 cup.
- The night before you want to bake it, layer banana bread slices in an 8x8 baking dish and pour prepared batter over them. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, let your dish sit out to come to room temperature while you preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Bake, covered with foil, for 25 minutes, then remove the foil and bake another 5-10 minutes until your French toast is lightly browned and set in the center.
Banana Bread French Toast Calories
The calories in one serving of this recipe will vary widely depending on the type of banana bread you use and what toppings you choose. That said, the approximate nutrition calculation puts the calories for one serving at 688 calories. (Nutrition Disclaimer)
Tips and F.A.Q.
In this recipe, we'll use either leftover homemade or store-bought banana bread -- either one comes out delicious!
That all depends on the ingredients and recipe of the banana bread you're using. Banana bread can include ingredients that boost protein, fiber, and other nutrients as well as providing energy from carbohydrates. But whether or not it's healthy will depend on its ingredients, and the personalized recommendations of a nutritional expert.
This French toast is best served immediately, but you can store cooked French toast slices (without the cream cheese glaze) in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Just reheat them in the microwave. You can also make the cream cheese glaze ahead of time -- just reheat it in the microwave as well to get it to pouring consistency!
If you try this recipe, I would love it if you could leave a star review rating and comment below! It’s so wonderful hearing your feedback! And don’t forget to share your creations with me by tagging @chenee_today on Instagram!
More Banana Recipes You'll Love
- Banana Carrot Muffins
- Blackberry Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Banana Cinnamon Pancakes with Maple Brown Butter Glaze
- Banana Pudding Cheesecake Squares
- Banana Blondies with Brown Butter Frosting
Equipment you may need
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Syrup
- Whisk together eggs, milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla until well combined.2 large eggs, ½ cup milk, 1½ teaspoon dark brown sugar, ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place banana bread slices in a single layer in a 9x13 pan and pour batter mixture evenly over them. Allow batter to soak into slices for 2 minutes; then, turn slices to soak the other sides for another 2 minutes. (See note below for overnight French toast instructions.4 slices banana bread
- Heat griddle pan over medium-high heat and melt butter, spreading evenly.2 tablespoon salted butter
- Carefully place soaked banana bread slices onto hot greased skillet. Cook about 3 minutes each side, or until deep golden brown on both sides and cooked through.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cream cheese syrup ingredients until smooth. Pour over warm banana bread french toast.4 oz cream cheese, ¼ cup milk, ¼ cup maple syrup, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Top with toppings of your choice and serve warm.powdered sugar, fresh banana, pecans, fresh strawberries
PIN this banana french toast recipe for later!
Last Updated on July 9, 2022 by Chenée Lewis