*This post contains affiliate links — please see my disclosure for details*.
Last Updated on August 28, 2020 by Chenée Lewis
I hope you’re all holding up well and staying healthy! Today we’re making pineapple banana bread! Is it me, or is banana bread becoming one of the main quarantine baking projects that many of us have tried? I know for me, it was one of the first treats I made for myself during my first week of working from home. Perhaps it’s because bananas are such a common kitchen table fruit. Or because the rest of the ingredients are so easy to get, even with grocery store shelves emptied out in many places. Either way, banana bread is having a moment.
So maybe it wasn’t a coincidence that since the beginning of the quarantine I’ve made my fair share of banana recipes! But I definitely wanted to share this one because it’s a delicious twist on a classic home baking recipe. My pineapple banana bread has the banana bread flavor you already love, with the sweet addition of crushed pineapple, the nuttiness of brown butter, and the crunch of roasted pecans.
Why this banana pineapple bread is so good
Why did I try to combine these two flavors? First of all, I had a can of pineapple and nothing to do with it. OK, if I’m being honest, that’s the main reason. I love to experiment with baking, and canned crushed pineapple is one of my favorite ingredients to play with. One of the first recipes on this blog, my pineapple pecan bars, was born from my love of pineapple!
But also, if you’ve worked with pineapple in baking before, you know that adding it is an easy way to get a moist result and add flavor. Carrot cake is a perfect example! Plus, it’s so much easier to use a canned ingredient, especially now with the difficulty we are all having with getting fresh ingredients. So I had to give it a shot, and I LOVED the result.
The pineapple was in no way overpowering — it’s just a hint of pineapple flavor, and juicy pineapple bits throughout the loaf. And the pineapple added a delicious moist texture. It was the perfect boost to everyone’s favorite quick bread. Plus, the brown butter and pecans in there were the perfect touch to make this banana bread delicious!
Give it a try as your next baking project, and enjoy!
- brown butter – check out this blog post for details on how to brown butter with images and step-by-step instructions! Once your butter is browned, let it cool to room temperature, or chill in fridge for about an hour.
- granulated sugar
- light brown sugar
- overripe bananas – they should be nice and spotty, almost black. Mash them up really well!
- canned crushed pineapple – drain it well. It’s
- pure vanilla extract – the vanilla adds great flavor to this banana pineapple bread
- all-purpose flour – measure it out using the spoon-and-level method, or even better, use a food scale to measure out 256 grams.
- baking soda – gives this pineapple banana bread a nice lift.
- salt – brings out all those flavors!
- chopped roasted pecans – my favorite part – I love pecans, and they work so well in this banana bread.
Equipment you may need
- ½ cup brown butter – cooled to room temperature
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs – beaten
- 3 medium overripe bananas – mashed (see note)
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple – drained
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour – (256g)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup roasted pecans – chopped
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer or handheld mixer, cream butter and sugars until smooth and fluffy.
- Add vanilla, pineapple, eggs and crushed bananas. Stir until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, soda and salt.
- Fold flour mixture and pecans gently into wet ingredients until just combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and smooth evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 55-65 minutes, or until a toothpick entered in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool at least 15 minutes before slicing. Serve warm or room temperature.
PIN this pineapple banana bread recipe for later!
Thanks for checking out this recipe! If you want more like it, SUBSCRIBE BELOW for all my latest updates! PLUS, when you subscribe you’ll get my FREE printable Kitchen & Baking Cheat Sheet full of quick baking tips and tricks and essential kitchen tools to make your life way easier!
PLUS, click here to take my 2020 reader survey and be entered to win a Wilton 3-Tier Collapsible Cooling Rack!!