These banana and white chocolate blondies are incredible! And when you top banana blondies with brown butter frosting, they become my new favorite treat! If you love these banana bread blondies, you need to try my Dairy Free Banana Bread, my Banana Bread French Toast, my Banana Pudding Cheesecake Squares, and my Banana Cake with Brown Butter Cream Cheese Frosting!
Banana Blondies with Cream Cheese Icing
Today we are making BROWN BUTTER BANANA BLONDIES! Is it me, or is that the most delicious four words ever written in the English language? And if that wasn't enough, did I mention we're topping this banana blondies recipe with a cream cheese icing made with -- you guessed it -- more brown butter?!
My love affair with brown butter is well-documented in the short time this blog has been in existence. But what you may not know is that brown butter and banana is maybe the best combination of all time. I first made this discovery with my banana cake recipe, and since then I've been obsessed!
What is the difference between a brownie and a blondie?
Recipes for blondies are a lot like brownies, but with a base flavor of vanilla, rather than chocolate. They can be made with white chocolate, butterscotch, caramel, and even chocolate chips, and they can be adapted in lots of different ways! That's what's so amazing about recipes for blondies -- they can bring the flavors of all of your favorite desserts to the classic rich, chewy texture you love about brownies.
Maybe you aren't a big fan of blonde brownie (blondies) recipes. Or maybe you prefer chocolate brownies (I don't blame you, actually). Maybe my raspberry white chocolate blondies didn't successfully convert you. Well, if you aren't a #blondiebeliever yet, this fudgy, chewy, buttery banana blondies recipe will definitely do the trick!
Banana and White Chocolate Blondies Ingredients
These brown butter banana blondies are pretty easy to throw together! You don't need a stand mixer, or even a handheld mixer! I made these blondies with just a whisk and a few steps! But let's start with the ingredients you'll need do make these brown butter banana blondies:
- baking spray - I like to use Pam for Baking, or any other baking spray that contains flour.
- brown butter - you'll need to brown butter all at once for the blondies AND for the brown butter cream cheese frosting. If you need step by step instructions on how to brown butter, check out this post!
- white chocolate chips - you can also use chunks of white baking chocolate. These will give your blondies that fudgy, chewy texture and so much flavor!
- egg - make sure your egg is room temperature - see below for a quick tip to help get it to room temperature quickly!
- brown sugar - I love the deep flavor of brown sugar in these banana blondies!
- pure vanilla extract - be sure to use a high-quality pure vanilla extract. Or better yet, check out my post on how to make vanilla extract at home with just 2 ingredients!
- overripe banana - we'll use about one medium banana for these banana blondies!
- all-purpose flour - be sure to use a kitchen scale to measure by weight, or use the spoon-and-level method to measure by volume.
- ground cinnamon - I love the flavor that a bit of cinnamon adds to these banana blondies!
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Brown Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
- brown butter
- cream cheese
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
How to Make Banana Bread Blondies
The most complicated part of this blondies recipe is browning the butter, which is actually totally doable! Check here for step-by-step details on how to brown butter! It's so easy and makes all the difference, especially in baking!
Once you have your brown butter, the rest is super straightforward. All you do is:
- Melt your white chocolate into your brown butter
- Mix your egg, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt together.
- Add in the cooled butter and chocolate mixture, then your mashed banana.
- Finally, fold in your flour, and you're ready to bake!
Then comes my favorite part -- the frosting! For this banana blondies recipe, we're using the same brown butter cream cheese frosting from my stout gingerbread cookies. You can whip that up easily once the blondies are cooled.
Don't forget to set out your cream cheese to soften while the blondies are in the oven, and it'll be ready to go into your frosting by the time the blondies are done cooling!
I hope you love this brown butter banana blondies recipe! Are you a #blondiebeliever yet??? Let me know in the comments below how it turned out for you, and tag me on Instagram with #cheneetoday. I can't wait to see your results!
Tips and F.A.Q.
To warm up eggs to room temperature quickly, I like to just place them in a bowl with slightly warm water for about 15 minutes. At that point, they should not longer be noticeably cool. To soften cream cheese, just take it out of the foil and heat in the microwave for 15-20 seconds!
This step is so easy, but lining your pan with parchment paper and letting some of it extend off the sides helps you remove your blondies all at once from the pan to make frosting, slicing, and serving much easier!
Check out my brown butter appreciation post for more details and step-by-step instructions, but in an nutshell, here's how to brown the butter for this banana blondies recipe! Just cut a stick and a half of salted butter into cubes or slices and heat over medium heat in a light-colored pan, stirring often. The butter should melt and start to foam; keep stirring and watch it carefully. Once the milk solids at the bottom begin to turn golden brown, it's ready! Immediately remove it to a heatproof container and let it cool a bit. In this recipe, you'll then remove ¼ cup of the brown butter to cool for the frosting later!
I'm not gonna say that they're better, but they're different. In a very good way! If you've ever described yourself as "not a chocolate person" or if you love vanilla, butter pecan, or salted caramel ice cream, then you'll probably love blondies! And if you like banana bread, you'll DEFINITELY love these banana blondies!
More Blondies Recipes to Try
- Biscoff Blondies with White Chocolate
- Raspberry and White Chocolate Blondies
- Pumpkin Blondies with Apple Cider Glaze
- Gluten-Free Blondies with White Chocolate Chunks
Equipment you may need
- baking spray - (the kind with flour)
- ¾ cup (170 g) brown butter - divided
- ½ cup (90 g) white chocolate chips
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (220 g) light brown sugar - packed )
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup (75 g) mashed overripe banana - about 1 medium banana
- 1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon (2 g) salt
Brown Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
- ¼ cup (57 g) brown butter - (from above)
- 4 oz (113 g) cream cheese - softened to room temperature
- 1 cup (120 g) powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon (2 ml) pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon (1 g) ground cinnamon - optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x9 baking pan with baking spray and line with parchment paper, leaving an overhang to remove blondies easily from pan.baking spray
- Brown ¾ butter (see note), and pour ¼ cup of browned butter into a separate container and place into refrigerator to cool.¾ cup brown butter
- Add white chocolate to remaining ½ cup of warm browned butter and stir until melted and smooth. If necessary, heat in microwave for 15-30 seconds to melt. Let cool.½ cup white chocolate chips
- Whisk together egg, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl until smooth, stirring well after each addition.1 large egg, 1 cup light brown sugar, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Whisk in the cooled butter and white chocolate mixture, and then stir in the mashed banana.¾ cup brown butter, ½ cup mashed overripe banana
- Fold in flour until combined. Spread the batter into 9x9 baking pan and smooth the top.1 cup all-purpose flour
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick in the center of the pan comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for at least 10 minutes before removing to cool completely.
Brown Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
- Allow reserved cooled ¼ cup brown butter to come to room temperature.¼ cup brown butter
- Using a hand mixer, beat brown butter with softened cream cheese until creamy. Mix in cinnamon and vanilla.4 oz cream cheese, ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Gradually beat in powdered sugar until fully incorporated and frosting is smooth and creamy. If desired, beat another 2-3 minutes for a fluffier texture.1 cup powdered sugar
- Spread over cooled blondies, slice and serve!
PIN this brown butter banana blondies recipe for later!
Can't get enough dessert bar recipes? Me neither! Here are some that you'll love!
Last Updated on October 18, 2021 by Chenée Lewis
The step by step, detailed directions were so helpful!! This recipe is spot on with deep, rich flavors! Delicious!
Thank you so much! Glad you liked them!
These blondies look incredible and very addicting! My family is going to love these. Absolutely excited to make these with my daughter! Perfect for our next gathering!
They're such a hit at parties!
These blondies look fantastic! I love the texture from the banana. It especially sounds perfect paired with the brown butter cream cheese frosting. Yum!
It's the perfect combination! 🙂
Those look so good. I wish I could reach into the screen and grab one.
You should definitely give them a try! They're so good!
These look so amazing! Definitely making them this fall.
You'll love them! 🙂
Thanks for such a delicious recipe! I loved your raspberry blondies, so will surely be giving these a try! I am sure they will be lovely.
Thank you! I hope you love these!
I made these tonight and they were A HIT! I now want to brown my butter for everything lol Thank you so much for the thorough and easy-to-follow instructions. Hubby’s already requesting a second batch?
Yay! I'm so glad they were a hit!
Wow, these blondies are calling my name, they look so moist and delish!!
Thank you! They really are so moist and chewy -- and that frosting really makes them amazing!
This sounds amazing! I love the flavors you have chosen (again!) for this recipe!
Thank you so much! 🙂
I actually never made blondies before because I just love my brownies so much. But this recipe is a must to try!
Thanks! I hope they turn out well for you! 🙂
Looks delicious! Can't wait to try this one.
Thanks! I hope you love them!
I have to admit I've never browned butter myself before, but I did this past week and I don't know why I waited so long! I can't wait to make these yummy blondies and brown butter the 2nd time!
Brown butter is AMAZING! I'm glad you were able to try it! Hope you enjoy these blondies 🙂
Thanks for reminding me that there are blondies besides brownies. I forgot, and your recipe is what I am going to make soon. I love that nutty flavor of brown butter, and your blondies sound exceptional.
I hope you love them! Let me know how they turn out for you 🙂
Looks amazing! Been wanting to try this a lot, now i will use your recipe
Great!! I hope you enjoy it 🙂
These look awesome! I have been meaning to make blondes. I will try these.
Thanks! Let me know how they work out for you 🙂