*This post contains affiliate links — please see my disclosure for details*.
Last Updated on November 4, 2020 by Chenée Lewis
Sometimes you just need a bite of summery goodness! And when you do, these lavender lemon cupcakes are the perfect treat. They’re light, moist, fluffy, touched with a hint of lavender, and topped with the most amazing lemon cream cheese buttercream frosting.
Make this easy lavender lemon cupcake recipe for a birthday, a baby shower, a bridal shower, a graduation, or just for a sweet treat anytime! They’re so easy, you don’t need an occasion!
These lemon lavender cupcakes come from my mini vanilla cake recipe — they’re just as easy, and just as moist and fluffy. And the ingredients list is largely the same:
- eggs – they should be room temperature
- lemon zest – complements the lavender perfectly!
- pure vanilla extract – perfect balance for the lavender
- lavender extract – just enough lavender flavor to give these cupcakes a unique floral scent. I use Angel Bake.
- granulated sugar – gives these cupcakes their sweetness!
- vegetable oil – adds a bit of richness to the batter.
- sour cream – keeps these cupcakes moist and tender. Should be room temperature.
- cake flour – contains less gluten than all-purpose flour, so your cupcakes will stay light and tender.
- baking powder & baking soda – gives your cupcakes a lift!
- salt – brings out all the flavors.
And then they’re topped with a quick and easy lemon cream cheese buttercream frosting that makes these easy lavender lemon cupcakes irresistible! For that, you’ll just need:
- cream cheese
- salted butter
- lemon zest & juice
- powdered sugar
When you have everything gathered together, you’re ready to make these lavender lemon cupcakes!
Step by Step
Like my mini vanilla cake and mini chocolate cake, with the exception of the frosting, these lemon lavender cupcakes are a one bowl and whisk recipe! It takes just a few minutes to get ready for the oven.
- First, you’ll beat together your eggs, zest, sugar, and extracts and then add in your oil and sour cream.
- Next, you’ll sift in your flour, baking powder, baking powder, and salt and fold it all together until it’s just barely combined.
- Then just fill your prepped baking liners and you’re ready to bake!
If you like these lavender lemon cupcakes, you’ll want to try my Lavender Earl Grey Cake — it’s got so many of the same floral and citrus notes against the distinct flavor of Earl Grey tea, plus a honey-lemon glaze that you’ll want to eat with a spoon! It’s another one-bowl and whisk recipe, so you’ll find it perfect for an easygoing dessert!
You should also try my Lemon Icebox Pie — it’s based on a family recipe that’s lasted for generations, and you’ll immediately see why! Full of tart lemons and zest, and sweetened with condensed milk, it sets up in the fridge for the ideal summertime dessert!
Equipment you may need
Lemon Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese – full-fat, room temperature
- 5 tbsp salted butter – room temperature
- 4½ cups powdered sugar – (526g), plus an additional 1/2 cup if needed
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 ½ tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan and spray with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and lavender extract.
- Mix in vegetable oil and sour cream until smooth.
- Sift in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Fold until just combined.
- Use a cupcake scoop or measuring cup to fill cupcake liners two-thirds full. Drop onto counter from 3 inches high to eliminate air bubbles.
- Bake in preheated oven 18-20 minutes or until centers are springy to the touch and a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs. Allow to cool completely before decorating.
Lemon Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting
- Using a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat softened cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Mix in lemon zest and lemon juice until well combined.
- Gradually add powdered sugar while continuing to mix until you've achieved your desired consistency. Beat an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Spread or pipe over cooled cupcakes.
PIN this lavender lemon cupcake recipe for later!
Thanks for checking out this recipe! If you want more like it, SUBSCRIBE BELOW for all my latest updates! PLUS, when you subscribe you’ll get your FREE PRINTABLE Kitchen and Baking Cheat Sheet!