*This post contains affiliate links — please see my disclosure for details*.
Last Updated on August 12, 2020 by Chenée Lewis
I’m so excited to share these with you today! We all know that s’mores are the ultimate summertime snack. They’re perfect for hanging around fire and spending treasured time with friends and family, and they’re easy and messy enough for kids to LOVE! The traditional s’mores recipe is simple: Graham cracker, chocolate, and toasted marshmallows. And who am I to mess with tradition?? That’s why this s’mores brownies recipe has all the same elements: a buttery graham cracker crust, a fudge brownie layer, and a toasted marshmallow fluff topping that is so gooey and amazing!
There are lots of recipes for s’mores desserts out there, but these s’mores brownies are the BEST! They’re based on my triple-chocolate pecan brownie recipe and the graham cracker crust from my lemon icebox pie, two of my best-love recipes on this site! And because I’m all about the easy shortcuts to recipe perfection, the topping for these s’mores brownies is good old store-bought marshmallow fluff!
Here’s what you’ll need to make these amazing s’mores brownies:
- graham cracker crumbs — to make this recipe even easier, I used the store-bought crumbs
- salted butter – for both the graham cracker crust and the brownie batter
- dark brown sugar – to add sweetness and caramely richness at the same time
- granulated white sugar – adds more sweetness
- vanilla extract – perfect complement to the chocolate flavor!
- eggs – to give structure to the brownie layer
- cocoa powder – the source of the brownies’ rich chocolate flavor!
- all-purpose flour – adds a little softness to these fudgy brownies
- salt – to bring out all these flavors and cut the sweetness a bit
- semisweet chocolate chips – to add the unmistakeable chocolate layer that s’mores are known for!
Once you’ve got your ingredients together, all you’ll need next is to gather your tools. I use a 9×9 baking pan for these brownies, but if you have a springform pan or a high-sided 8×8 pan, those could work too. Let me know in the comments below what you used!
I would also recommend aluminum foil to line your pan, and an offset spatula to spread your marshmallow fluff.
Tips for the best s’mores brownies
This smores brownie recipe is based on my Triple-Chocolate Pecan Brownies, but only uses 2 eggs to make a fudgier, denser brownie layer and make a little extra space in the pan for our marshmallow layer. If you prefer a texture that’s slightly more cakey, add in the third egg!
Also, as a quick and easy alternative to the brownie recipe altogether, you can choose to swap in your favorite brownie box mix, prepared according to the instructions on the package!
Spreading and slicing marshmallow fluff
I would suggest having a damp cloth on hand to wipe down your offset spatula each time you spread your marshmallow fluff. It makes it easier to spread it neatly without getting it everywhere! And the same goes for when you slice your brownies to serve — be sure to wipe your knife with a damp cloth between each cut!
Be sure to watch the pan constantly while using the broiler. Marshmallow can easily catch fire, so place your pan on a center rack so that it’s far enough away from the heat source. Once you see the marshmallows start to smoke, it’s time to take them out! In general, use an abundance of caution anytime you’re using the broiler.
I’m always sharing fun, summertime recipes, but the best recipes are the ones like these smores brownies that are perfect all year round! One of those that I love is my brown butter peach tart, which can be made with frozen peaches, so you can enjoy it any time of year!
I also love my pineapple pecan cheesecake bars with a brown butter coconut icing! That name is a mouthful, and so are these decadent dessert bars! I made these for a family bake-off (and I won, of course). Try them today!
Equipment you may need
Graham Cracker Crust
Fudge Brownie Layer
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 13 oz marshmallow fluff – a.k.a. marshmallow creme
Prepare Graham Cracker Crust
- Line the bottom and all sides of a 9×9 baking pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil, and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and sugar in a bowl. Stir well to coat.
- Press crust mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together melted butter, eggs, sugars, and vanilla until smooth.
- Sift in cocoa powder, flour, and salt and fold into wet ingredients until just combined.
- Spread batter onto graham cracker crust in pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until center is set.
- Just after removing pan from the oven, add chocolate chips to the top and allow to melt. Spread chocolate in an even layer over warm brownies. Let brownies cool completely (I place mine in the fridge to be sure they're cooled).
- Spoon marshmallow fluff onto chocolate layer and spread evenly.
- Broil on high for 2 minutes or until top of marshmallow fluff is lightly browned (see note). You can also toast the marshmallow layer with a culinary torch.
- Chill again to firm up marshmallow layer, then cut and serve! Store leftovers in refrigerator.
PIN this smores brownie recipe for later!
Thanks for checking out this recipe! If you want more like it, SUBSCRIBE BELOW for all my latest updates! PLUS, when you subscribe you’ll get FREE access to CREEP IT REAL: Tips for a Socially Distanced and SPOOKTacular Halloween in 2020!
PLUS, click here to take my 2020 reader survey and be entered to win a Wilton 3-Tier Collapsible Cooling Rack!!