*This post contains affiliate links — as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure for details*.
Last Updated on November 2, 2020 by Chenée Lewis
Memorial Day has passed, and it’s currently 90 degrees in Chicago as I type this, so I would say we’re pretty much into summertime. Which means that it’s time to enjoy all those delicious stone fruits — especially peaches and cherries! This peach cherry galette highlights those fruits beautifully, and best of all it’s incredibly easy! How is it so easy, you ask? Here’s the secret: store-bought pie crust.
Let’s talk about galette crust
A galette is the term for a certain type of freeform, single crust pie that can be made with puff pastry, a sweet pastry crust, or even yeast risen dough like brioche. It’s up to you, and part of the beauty of a galette is that they’re all unique. So variations are welcomed and imperfections are perfect! In this recipe, we’re making our peach cherry galette with a store-bought pie crust because as Tabitha Brown says, “that’s our business.”
You can certainly whip up a pie crust or use a puff pastry if you like, but I’m trying to maximize the ease of this peach cherry galette recipe. And minimize my time spent in the kitchen near a preheating oven (did I mention it’s 90 degrees here?). I used a Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust, but if you have another favorite you like, feel free to use it and let me know in the comments!
What do I need for this peach cherry galette recipe?
This peach cherry galette comes together with just a handful of ingredients, most of which you’ll already have on hand!
- peaches and cherries: the stars of the show!
- granulated sugar: to sweeten our filling just a bit.
- cornstarch: to thicken the filling up and prevent the galette from being too liquidy.
- cinnamon: a touch of spice to balance out the sweetness.
- lemon juice: to brighten up our peaches and cherries.
- vanilla extract: adds a yummy vanilla flavor to the filling
- a pie crust: the base of our galette
- an egg, separated: used to coat the inside of our galette crust to prevent the filling from leaking AND as an egg wash to add color and shine to the top of the crust.
- turbinado sugar: adds a satisfying crunch to our crust and some extra sweetness to our filling.
- vanilla ice cream: optional, but not really.
Can I use frozen peaches and cherries?
You sure can! In fact, that’s what I did to make this peach cherry galette, since it’s been hard to get my hands on fresh fruit since grocery shopping isn’t as easy these days. Just make sure that you thaw the fruit fully in a colander over a bowl to drain out any excess juice!
Step by Step
Making this peach cherry galette is gonna be a short process! Here’s all you’ll need to do to get this galette in the oven:
- Stir together your fruit, granulated sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Roll out your pie crust and brush it with egg white.
- Dump your filling ingredients into the center of the crust.
- Fold edge of crust over filling, brush with egg yolk, and sprinkle crust and filling with turbinado sugar.
There you go — easy as pie! Actually, easier.
If you try this galette, let me know in the comments how it works out for you! And if you’re up for a slightly more intense pie recipe (but SO worth it), try my Brown Butter Black-Bottom Sweet Potato Pie. Or for another easy summertime dessert, check out my 3-ingredient Strawberry Banana Sorbet!
Peach Cherry GalettePrint Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
- 1 ½ cup peaches - fresh or frozen*, peeled and sliced
- ⅔ cup dark sweet cherries - fresh or frozen*, pitted and halved
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 pie crust - store-bought or homemade
- 1 egg - separated
- 2 tbsp turbinado sugar - for sprinkling**
- vanilla ice cream - for serving (optional)
- Combine peaches, cherries, granulated sugar, corn starch, vanilla, lemon juice, and cinnamon in a bowl. Toss to mix well.
- Roll out pie crust on a parchment-lined surface — if using a homemade crust, roll out to a 14-inch circle. Brush crust with egg white.
- Spoon filling onto inner part crust and fold edges of crust over filling. Brush exposed crust edges with egg yolk and sprinkle turbinado sugar over both crust and filling.
- Bake at 375°F for 35-40 minutes, or until outside of crust is golden brown.
- Allow to cool 5-10 minutes and serve warm with ice cream, if desired.
Pin this peach cherry galette recipe for later!
Thanks for checking out this recipe! If you want more like it, click the banner above to order my brand-new summer cookbook, Sweet Summertime! It’s got 22 exclusive summer-friendly recipes and it’s full of baking tips and guides for perfect results!
And sign up below for all my blog recipes and updates right in your inbox, and to get your FREE PRINTABLE Kitchen and Baking Cheat Sheet!