Dairy free chocolate chip cookies - chewy and delicious! If you want one of the best dairy free cookie recipes, you’re in the right place! And for more dairy free goodness, try my Dairy Free Banana Bread, my Almond Lemon Cookies, and my Vegan Couscous Salad with Charred Corn!
*This post contains affiliate links — as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure for details*.
Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies - Chewy with Crisp Edges!
If you want a batch of delicious chocolate chip cookies without the dairy, these dairy free cookies are calling your name! They're a simple and yummy chocolate chip cookie recipe, soft and chewy in the center with a nice crispness on the edges. And this fantastic lactose free cookies recipe contains no dairy in the butter or chocolate chips!
What is a substitute for butter in chocolate chip cookies?
Many of the best dairy free cookies recipes are made with coconut oil, but I think you'll love these if you want more of that buttery flavor! For these chocolate chip cookies, we're using vegan butter or butter-flavored shortening! They are both made from vegetable oil, and they're both an ingredient that is easy to find in your local market. Plus, you won't miss out on any of that yummy buttery goodness!
Do chocolate chips have dairy products in them?
Yes, typically chocolate chips are made with milk fat, butter fat, or other types of dairy products. The key to making these dairy free chocolate cookies is to use dairy free chocolate chips! I've tried Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips and Nestlé Tollhouse Allergen-Free Chocolate Chips and both worked great!
Dairy Free Chocolate Cookies Ingredients
- melted vegan butter - I like Earth Balance Organic vegan butter, or you can also use butter-flavored shortening. I haven't tried these dairy free chocolate chip cookies with coconut oil, so let me know if you try that instead!
- light brown sugar - I love the rich flavor of brown sugar in these dairy free cookies! Or if you just realized you're out of brown sugar, check out my recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookies Without Brown Sugar!
- egg - make sure your egg is room temperature so that the dough bakes evenly.
- pure vanilla extract - make sure you use a good-quality pure vanilla extract. Or better yet, check out my post on how to make vanilla extract at home with just 2 ingredients!
- all-purpose flour - (measured by weight or fluffed using the spoon-and-level method)
- cornstarch - cornstarch is a secret ingredient for soft, thick cookies, and helps to keep these dairy free chocolate chip cookies chewy!
- baking soda - reacts to the acid in the brown sugar to give just enough lift to this recipe!
- salt - adding a bit of salt helps to bring out the flavors.
- dairy-free chocolate chips - I like using Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips -- you can use either semi-sweet or dark chocolate.
- flaky sea salt - this is optional, but I always like to top chocolate chip cookies with a little flaky sea salt to balance out the sweetness.
To make these dairy free cookies, you'll want to grab a kitchen scale to help you measure your flour with perfect accuracy to get that chewy, gooey texture that you like. Also, an oven thermometer will help to correct any temperature disparities to make sure that your cookies bake perfectly. And a #30 cookie scoop helps to measure out your cookies to the exact size you'll need. You'll also want to grab a large baking sheet -- I use the Nordicware Baker's Big Sheet lined with a Silpat ¾ sheet liner.
Tips and F.A.Q.
The Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips that I like to use contain dried cane sugar, unsweetened chocolate, and dairy-free cocoa butter.
The regular Nestle Tollhouse chocolate chips are made with milkfat, so they're not dairy free. But you can use Nestlé Tollhouse Allergen-Free Chocolate Chips in these dairy free chocolate chip cookies with great results!
Absolutely! I like to use Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer for an easy substitute for eggs. Or you can make a flax egg and add that in to replace the egg!
I've got some of the best dairy free cookie recipes for you! Try my Vegan Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies with Banana and Cacao, my Almond Lemon Cookies, or my Almond Flour Peanut Butter Cookies!
And for more ideas, check out my roundup up the 30+ Best Gluten Free Dairy Free Cookies!
If you try this recipe, I would love it if you could leave a star review rating and comment below! It’s so wonderful hearing your feedback! And don’t forget to share your creations with me by tagging @chenee_today on Instagram!
More Dairy Free Recipes You'll Love
- Vegan Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Peanut Noodle Salad
- Iced Sugar Cookie Almond Milk Latte (Starbucks Copycat)
- Pumpkin Nice Cream
Equipment you may need
- 1⅓ cup (167 g) all purpose flour - measured by weight or fluffed using the spoon-and-level method
- 2 teaspoon (4 g) cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon (2 g) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (3 g) salt
- 8 tablespoon (112 g) vegan butter - melted (or butter-flavored shortening)
- ¾ cup (165 g) light brown sugar - packed
- 1 large egg - room temperature (see below for vegan substitution)
- 1½ teaspoon (7 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (237 g) dairy-free chocolate chips - semi-sweet or dark chocolate
- flaky sea salt - for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with a silicone liner or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Set aside1⅓ cup all purpose flour, 2 teaspoon cornstarch, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, whisk melted butter or shortening with brown sugar until mixture is combined. Add egg, then vanilla, and whisk again until smooth and fluffy.8 tablespoon vegan butter, ¾ cup light brown sugar, 1 large egg, 1½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Fold in dry ingredients gradually until dough comes together and is well combined. Fold in chocolate chips.1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Use a small cookie scoop to place scoops of dough onto prepared baking sheet at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake in preheated oven 10 minutes, or until tops of cookies are set and edges are golden brown. For soft cookies, be sure not to overbake.
- Sprinkle with flaky sea salt, if desired. Let cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.flaky sea salt
Pin these dairy free chocolate chip cookies for later!
Last Updated on February 14, 2023 by Chenée Lewis
Great recipe. I use gluten-free flour and they are a hit.
Wonderful! So glad you like them!
I was looking for a recipe like this, thank you for sharing! I can't wait to try it soon!
Not sure how yours come out looking thicker without chilling the dough. The dough is sticky from the melted butter and the cookies just go flat… the taste is good, but next time I’d try chilling the dough first.
Sorry to hear that yours spread too much 🙁 Hopefully you like them better with chilled dough!
They were really tasty me and my flatmates loved them! Crispy on the edges and chewy in the middle. The only slight problem was the top turned out to look kind of wrinkly on top probably because the butter I used was different it was the Naturli Organic Vegan Butter Block and I hadn't used it before but will definitely make it again! Thanks for the recipe 🙂
Awesome! I'm so glad you liked them! 🙂
These came out just perfect -- and I don't have any of the fancy tools suggested! I did find my melon baller was a good way to get the dough onto the baking sheet.
My dairy-allergic husband was so happy with these -- especially after my first try using Earth Balance was a big mess!
Yay! So glad they worked out well for you!
Delicious!! Great texture. Crispy outside soft middle!
Wonderful! So glad you liked them!