*This post contains affiliate links — as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure for details*.
Last Updated on June 22, 2021 by Chenée Lewis
I’m such a fan of pineapple upside down cake! My classic pineapple upside down cake recipe is one of my favorite treats to make. It’s such a retro classic and reminds me of my childhood so much. This vegan pineapple upside down cake is so moist and delicious — you’ll absolutely love it!
It’s a classic recipe for a reason!
This vegan pineapple upside down cake has everything you want in an upside-down cake — it’s a moist vanilla cake with hint of pineapple flavor topped with a buttery caramelized pineapple-brown sugar topping and the unforgettable flavor of maraschino cherries. A classic flavor combination that is incredibly delicious! Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- granulated sugar – we’ll use granulated sugar to create a nice sweetness and complement the pineapple flavor.
- canola oil – helps to keep our vegan pineapple upside down cake nice and moist.
- vegan butter – I used Miyokos Cultured Vegan Butter, but feel free to use your favorite plant butter in this recipe!
- crushed pineapple – we’ll use crushed pineapple in two ways in this vegan pineapple upside down cake: first in the batter to add moisture and pineapple flavor, and again in the caramelized pineapple topping! I prefer crushed pineapple for the topping because it makes it easier to slice, but if you like, you can use sliced pineapple rings for the topping for a more traditional look.
- plant milk – I like to use soy milk in baking, but you can use whatever plant milk you prefer.
- pineapple juice – adds a bit more liquid to the batter and even more pineapple flavor!
- lemon juice – I add lemon juice to react more with the baking soda in the batter and give this cake a bit more lift.
- vanilla extract – be sure to use a high-quality pure vanilla extract. Or better yet, check out my post on how to make vanilla extract at home with just 2 ingredients!
- all-purpose flour – be sure to measure your flour correctly — preferably by weight using a kitchen scale, or by using the spoon-and-level method.
- baking powder and baking soda – these leaveners help to give our vegan pineapple upside down cake its fluffy texture.
- salt – boosts the flavor of this cake, and balances the sweetness nicely.
- light brown sugar – in our caramelized pineapple topping, we’ll use brown sugar to get that deep caramelization.
- maraschino cherries – the final touch you’ll need to make this vegan pineapple upside down cake is a jar of maraschino cherries! They add the perfect flavor to complement the pineapples!
This vegan pineapple upside down cake is so simple to make, so you’ll only need some basic tools like an 8-inch cake pan, a mixing bowl, whisk and cooling rack!
Tips and F.A.Q.
If your vegan pineapple upside down cake comes out soggy, it’s probably because of an excess of liquid in your batter or the caramelized pineapple topping. Make sure you drain your pineapple well before adding it to both parts of this cake, and don’t add and extra liquid when mixing the batter.
Yes it is! And this vegan pineapple upside down cake is a great option for a vegan diet if you’re craving that amazing caramelized pineapple flavor!
Yes you can! Just place it in an airtight container, then store in the fridge. It should stay fresh for up to 3 days.
I prefer soy milk because it’s got the right thickness and consistency, but you can also use almond milk, oat milk, or any other plant milk you like!
Other Recipes You’ll Love!
Vegan Pineapple Upside-Down CakePrint Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
- ¾ cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup (145 g) vegetable oil - I used canola oil
- ½ cup (114 g) vegan butter - melted; divided
- 1⅓ cup (315 g) crushed pineapple - drained (¼ cup of juice reserved) and divided
- ½ cup (122 g) plant milk - I use soy milk
- ¼ cup (59 g) pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups (219 g) all-purpose flour - measured by weight or with spoon-and-level method
- 1½ tsp (6 g) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 g) baking soda
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- ¼ cup (59 g) maraschino cherries - drained
- ⅓ cup (73 g) light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread ¼ cup melted vegan butter in an 8-inch cake pan.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over butter and stir to spread evenly. Add 8-10 cherries, spaced evenly.
- Spoon 1 cup drained crushed pineapple in between cherries and pat with the back of a spoon to distribute evenly. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- Stir in remaining ¼ cup of melted vegan butter and vegetable oil, followed by remaining ⅓ cup of crushed pineapple, plant milk, and pineapple juice, stirring just until combined after each addition.
- Pour batter over pineapple mixture in cake pan and bake for about 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes, then carefully invert onto a cake plate. If any of the pineapple sticks to the pan, just scrape it off and gently add to the top of the cake.
Thanks for checking out this recipe! If you want more like it, click the banner above to order my brand-new summer cookbook, Sweet Summertime! It’s got 22 exclusive summer-friendly recipes and it’s full of baking tips and guides for perfect results!
And sign up below for all my blog recipes and updates right in your inbox, and to get your FREE PRINTABLE Kitchen and Baking Cheat Sheet!