Last Updated on January 8, 2021 by Chenée Lewis
The NBA All-Star Game is this weekend in Chicago, and a few friends and I were having a get-together for the All-Star Saturday night festivities. And with all the cold, snowy weather so far this winter, I wanted to whip up an easy game day snack that would be a light alternative to heavy, fried snacks that I’ve been having recently. This vegan white bean dip came together so easily with lemon zest, fresh garlic, robust olive oil, and crushed pistachios.
Vegan and Gluten Free
This vegan white bean dip recipe is also perfect for parties because it’s friendly for a range of dietary needs. It’s vegan, gluten-free, and requires no added sugar. But all that will matter is how great it tastes!
I love making this vegan white bean dip for guests and not having to worry about it fitting into their dietary needs. But it’s a hit with everyone — vegans and carnivores alike!
So easy to make and customize!
Plus, this vegan white bean dip is especially easy. You don’t even have to chop your veggies! Just pick up a can of beans and a few other ingredients, and in minutes you’ll have the perfect make-ahead party appetizer!
My favorite ingredient in this recipe is the pistachios. They add a flavorful crunch that takes this vegan white bean dip to the next level! And they’re easy to add in — just pick up some pre-shelled pistachios like these. To crush them, just put a handful in a plastic food storage bag and smack with a rolling pin.
You can also adjust the amounts to your taste; for instance, I’m a big citrus lover, so I added in a bit more zest. And a few more red pepper flakes for spice. Just give it a taste as you’re pureeing the ingredients and adjust seasonings or spice to your preference.
- cannellini beans – Canned cannellini beans, also known as white kidney beans, add a great texture and are easy to find in any supermarket. You’ll need to rinse and drain cannellini beans before adding them.
- pistachios – I like to pick up pistachios that have already been roasted and shelled to make it easier!
- extra-virgin olive oil – there’s a good amount of olive oil in this recipe, and it serves two purposes: it helps to smooth out the texture of the white bean dip, and it adds a rich olive oil flavor that complements the lemon and garlic so well. So it’s important to pick up an extra virgin olive oil that has a bold flavor that you like.
- fresh garlic – definitely opt for fresh garlic in this recipe. It makes a big difference in flavor. Plus, the fact that we’re using a food processor or hand blender helps to cut down on chopping effort!
- fresh squeezed lemon juice – the lemon adds so much bright flavor to this dip and complements the other flavors so well. And you can add a bit more to brighten up the dip as needed!
- italian parsley – Italian parsley is also known as flat leaf parsley, as distinct from curly parsley. They have different flavors, so definitely look for the flat parsley in the supermarket!
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes – I like a little spice in pretty much anything savory, so I threw in some red pepper flakes. You can add some to your preference, or leave them out completely.
Once you have your dip all whipped up, you can have fun with some toppings! I like to use some chopped fresh mint, a drizzle of more olive oil, some chopped pistachios, and lemon zest. You can also add more red pepper flakes and some flaky sea salt to bring out all these flavors!
I would recommend using a food processor to chop and puree all the ingredients in this recipe smoothly, but you can also use a hand blender or regular blender. A hand blender will give you a slightly chunkier result, which I like, but if you prefer it to be smoother, opt for a regular blender or food processor.
Vegan White Bean Dip with Lemon and PistachiosPrint Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
White Bean Dip
- Combine all dip ingredients in the bowl of a food processor, or in a mixing bowl if using a hand blender. Pulse and purée until smooth.
- Transfer to serving bowl and chill until serving. Just before serving, drizzle with olive oil and top with desired toppings.
PIN this vegan white bean dip for later!